• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baseball season is up on us

alain

Older and Wiser
Hello Boys and Girls,

Baseball season is here. Spring training started already so we are going to get deep into some baseball talk soon. For all the international students that don't know what baseball is, which are the teams, etc, don't worry. I will try to keep you posted with details.

There is only one thing you need to be concerned with. You need to root for the YANKEES (Dan's favorite team, Andy's team and, of course, the only team I root for :D) and against the Red Sox (Woody's team).BTW, that's in the American League. In the National League, you can root for any team except the Mets (Hien's favorite team).

There are 32 teams in the league, so if you are looking for a team to root for, here is the list:

1- YANKEES (Root for this team)

... Any other team

31 - Mets
32 - Red Sox

GO YANKEES!!!

So I guess Woody is a member of the Red Sox nation ?

Here is what Hank Steinbrenner (Son of Boss) has to say to Woody
I'm a big Woody fan. Just to ensure he knows how cool Yankees Universe is, we officially inducted him as a member of Yankees Universe and we are sending him his membership card giving him access to an array of options including our newsletter, bumper stickers, pins, Bleacher Creatures seats and a hat personally autographed by captain Derek Jeter."
In a long story about the Brothers Steinbrenner (link), Hank said,
Red Sox Nation? What a bunch of (expletive) that is. That was a creation of the Red Sox and ESPN, which is filled with Red Sox fans. "Go anywhere in America and you won't see Red Sox hats and jackets, you'll see Yankee hats and jackets. This is a Yankee country. We're going to put the Yankees back on top and restore the universe to order."
As Steinbrenner put it,
My point was if this is a Red Sox Nation, it's a Yankees Universe
Well said, Hank. And welcome to the Yankees Universe, Woody.

Why can't we all get along? This includes you, too, Woody :)

In the NL, I root for the Mets, and there is nothing wrong with that :)

Other than that, Jeter needs more rings, so let's hope for the best...

and let;'s not forget about March Madness! i am not perfectly clear as to what exactly it is, but it's a huge deal around the office.

and let;'s not forget about March Madness! i am not perfectly clear as to what exactly it is, but it's a huge deal around the office.

We can talk about this in another thread... but unless your school is in the mix, March Madness is a total gambling experience where statistics don't work as well as in baseball.

Red Sox!!!

ahh...so many yankees fans at Baruch. I, on the other hand, am a diehard Red Sox fan.

Go Sox!!! :D

Nobody is perfect. I would've thought you liked Cricket.

Personally, I don't care much for cricket. It's fun to play, but that's as far as my interest goes.

Sanket,
You would be perfectly happy at Boston University. On the other hand, studying in NY would be hard. Very hard. Just put on a Red jersey and walk around town :D

I hope I didn't hurt my chances of admission at Baruch by revealing my allegiance! :D

Nobody is perfect. I would've thought you liked Cricket.

...which is why you should perhaps considering changing your allegiance to Red Sox Nation. =)

...which is why you should perhaps considering changing your allegiance to Red Sox Nation. =)

In the words of Hank... there is no nation... this is a Yankee country.

Sanket, were you born in US? How did you become a Red Sox fan? did you jump to the bandwagon in the last couple of years?

I hope I didn't hurt my chances of admission at Baruch by revealing my allegiance! :D
I hope you didn't put Red Sox in your personal statement. There is exactly one or two Red fans at Baruch who happen to grow up in the Boston area. Unfortunately (or fortunately) they are not in the admission committee.
In a more serious note, being a die hard Yankees fan isn't going to improve one's chance at Baruch either ;)
Why should he if already a member of Yankees Universe :D
Alain probably will rather kill himself than having anything to do with the Red Sox

In the words of Hank... there is no nation... this is a Yankee country.

ahh Yankee country...Red Sox nation...we can engage in all manner of verbal jousting. Let the upcoming season speak for itself. Speaking of which how about that little brawl against Rays? Not exactly an auspicious start - even for spring training.

Sanket, were you born in US? How did you become a Red Sox fan? did you jump to the bandwagon in the last couple of years?

No, I was born in India, but have been here in the States for about 22 of my 23 years. And no, I didn't jump the bandwagon. I played baseball all through elementary, middle, and high school. I'm not one of those "band-wagoners."

Back