• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Becoming a Desk Quant without a PhD

How much of a glass ceiling is there regarding not having a phd (or a french mfe maybe) to becoming a desk quant at a BB?

Different companies look at it differently. I have no PhD but started off as a quant - my first firm weren't bent out of shape about the PhD thing.

It's a case of sourcing such roles and/or roles like market risk that could lead to quant finance roles. You never know maybe as you progress through market risk interviews a quant role not looking for a PhD might come along anyway. Subconcsious has funny ways of getting us what we want when we don't stress. This isn't some The Secret bullshit but more what a trained psychotherapist will tell you - certainly found that it's true in my life.

Same deal in data science e.g. many data science roles asking for PhD, but plenty of non-PHD data scientists who started out as Data Engineers.

Back