• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Boston MSMFT Boston University Mathematical Finance PhD

Odd, I guess it would be something that goes both ways given that the curriculum is similar. But on the other hand, the PhD has lots more tough courses, so I guess masters students don't really have that option.

Thanks for the response!

And if you had graduated from MSc, courses from it can't count towards the PhD degree so you have to take them again or some substitute courses from Econ Department

Hi Umnik and Scnmaggie!!!

Can you please tell me the procedure to get into Boston PdD.....do we have to take GRE and apply through formal procedure...or just have to contact professors?? I mean..how did u got into the ship??

Anand

Applied through formal procedure, did not contact anyone before.

Also, I Regret ever going to this PhD program (well, despite that I was getting stipend and living life) and would advise anyone against it

But:
1) GPA requirement is 3.3 not 3.0 like in most of programs
2) curriculum is bad cos people are ordered to take full phd level courses in micro and macro and graded on same curve with Econ students for whom that is the core coursework (and Econ department has lower GPA requirement)
3) of the 18 students ever enrolled 6 people (1/3) left or were forced to leave after year 1, before taking quals - option of FREE masters was not given - only "pay for more courses to get Msc or leave" (although I agreed to it - but some did not)
4) of the 8 people already having taken the qual - 3 people did not pass from second attempt. With the previous argument attrition is more than half
5) students are discouraged to do research before they finish doing coursework
6) current 2-year students are TA ing two master level courses (not one ) while taking 4 courses themselves
7) one of the professors teaching one of financial doctoral level courses (and basically the main research oringinator at the department) never answers any questions about HWs (saying -"you should do it yourself")
8) so far no one graduated and only one student (accepted in 2008) is close to that

*Sigh* -- sounds like another third-rate p.o.s. program cynically and quickly set up on a shoestring budget to make a bit of quick dosh.

Well, in fact, there are a lot of PhD programs out there whose primary goal is to provide TAs for cash cow Masters programs :(

Well, in fact, there are a lot of PhD programs out there whose primary goal is to provide TAs for cash cow Masters programs

True; that's the Faustian Pact between universities and PhD students. But from the way you describe your program it seems to have been hurriedly cobbled together.

Actually, BU is quite a prestigious university. They may be eliminating the PhD students mainly to make sure that only high-quality PhD students graduate and leave a good impression in academia when they graduate. This elimination does not happen in the Finance PhD programs in the Business schools because they are only selecting 1% - 2% of the applicants, so there is no need to eliminate any PhD students once they start the PhD progam.
You should have studied Economics indepth before starting the PhD progam. Especially the textbooks like MWG could have been worked through. In the Business school they also have to take the Economics PhD course in Micro, Macro, Econometrics, and Game Theory along with the Economics PhD students. But the Business school PhD students perfom well in these course even though most of them have not had any prior exposure to Economics.

Actually, BU is quite a prestigious university. They may be eliminating the PhD students mainly to make sure that only high-quality PhD students graduate and leave a good impression in academia when they graduate. This elimination does not happen in the Finance PhD programs in the Business schools because they are only selecting 1% - 2% of the applicants, so there is no need to eliminate any PhD students once they start the PhD progam.
You should have studied Economics indepth before starting the PhD progam. Especially the textbooks like MWG could have been worked through. In the Business school they also have to take the Economics PhD course in Micro, Macro, Econometrics, and Game Theory along with the Economics PhD students. But the Business school PhD students perfom well in these course even though most of them have not had any prior exposure to Economics.

Prestigious university does not imply that all departments and programs are prestigious :)

*Sigh* -- sounds like another third-rate p.o.s. program cynically and quickly set up on a shoestring budget to make a bit of quick dosh.

Maybe I am missing something but I see 2 'population' curves in my mind's eye:

1. the mfe curve
2. the real life curve

Both are exponential, + and - respectively.

Hi,

Thanks for the input....I was actually planning to apply but have to think now...I am actually planning to enter into MFE or a PhD program coming fall... Would prefer phD as am an MBA in Finance....

Can you suggest some better phD in finance/mathematical finance programs...

Thanks!!

Frankly, doing a PhD is hard in any school.

I am going to attend BU MSMF program in this fall and considering a phd program later. Do you know the placement info about this phd program?

I am going to attend BU MSMF program in this fall and considering a phd program later. Do you know the placement info about this phd program?

Well, in fact, there are a lot of PhD programs out there whose primary goal is to provide TAs for cash cow Masters programs :(

Back