• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Boutique Investment Banks

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone could enlighten me more on "boutique investment banks". I have an interview with a boutique firm coming up. I was wondering how these boutique's were looked upon on the street. The firm is publicly traded on NASDAQ if that helps. They have around 250+ employees.
How do I evaluate such a place? The position is an internship in the Investment Banking division. It's one of Piper Jeffries, H Lokey, Haris and Haris, Rodman and Renshaw.

Any help would be great.

PJ has a solid heath care team. I've heard so so things about R&R. Lokey is cool and isn't Haris/Haris a Chicago based bank?

These are all fine shows. Obviously not BB's so your experience will be a little more different, but end of the day, you will get experience and be able to flow into PE or Bschool.

The thing with smallish banks is they usually have a niche focus. See how they fit in that niche and then you will be able to evaluate them better.

PJ has a solid heath care team. I've heard so so things about R&R. Lokey is cool and isn't Haris/Haris a Chicago based bank?

These are all fine shows. Obviously not BB's so your experience will be a little more different, but end of the day, you will get experience and be able to flow into PE or Bschool.

The thing with smallish banks is they usually have a niche focus. See how they fit in that niche and then you will be able to evaluate them better.

Well...It's R&R. What have you heard about them?

Some people were bashing it, but I don't think it is an accurate view. A friend of mine works their in Inst Sales. Apparently they focus on shipping and metals and mining. At least that is on the sales side.

It is a known name. Others might be better, but it isn't anything to look down on. Good luck!

Some people were bashing it, but I don't think it is an accurate view. A friend of mine works their in Inst Sales. Apparently they focus on shipping and metals and mining. At least that is on the sales side.

It is a known name. Others might be better, but it isn't anything to look down on. Good luck!

Yeah. I saw the "bashing" too. I looked up the people who work there on LinkedIN and seems like lots of ivy league MBA's are directors and MD's there so that should be a good sign.

Thanks for the info anyways.

... and seems like lots of ivy league MBA's are directors and MD's there so that should be a good sign.

and if you look at the most of the white collar criminals in jail, they also come from ivy league schools and ivy league MBA's.

Back