• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE BU vs Rutgers MSMF

Hey all, I got the admission from Boston university and Rutgers on MSMF, however, i don't know how to choose from this two.

I have some point aout this two program, however, since I don't have any real understanding for this two, I hope some one could give me advices.

BU:
maybe better gerneral reputation, better location, have a internship

Rutgers:
the program reputation is better?(rank as the top ten?) near NYC, however, just 3years history,

I really hope someone could give me some advices, thank you so much

BU:
maybe better gerneral reputation, better location, have a internship
Disagree, first about the reputation take a look here, Rutgers -54, BU - 83, although some of people aren't big fans of the ranking concept. Second, how do you say that BU has better location and Rutgers is new NYC, is near NYC is a disadvantage? And third, does BU gives you paid internship?

I don't know anything about Rutgers, but heard some bad things about BU.

Shlomi is absolutely correct.

Trust me, you don't want to go to BU. Read this for more info.

hey, thank you for your advice, i do not know excatly about the reputation. I mean the rutgers itself is not a good location. And also since it need me drive more than one hours to go to new york city.
Could you tell me what's bad things u learned from BU?

hey, thank you for your advice, i do not know excatly about the reputation. I mean the rutgers itself is not a good location. And also since it need me drive more than one hours to go to new york city.
Could you tell me what's bad things u learned from BU?

Dude, did you click on the link? C'MON!!! at least give it a try!!!

For starters, you may want to try that link I posted - the one that says "Read This..."

Here are some of my posts on global derivatives that you may find useful: this and this

... first about the reputation take a look here, Rutgers -54, BU - 83, although some of people aren't big fans of the ranking concept.

Shlomi, I only saw a bunch of numbers that seemed pull out some magic hat... Then I stopped to think I figured out the missing column, # of CEOs that bankrupted their company!!!

They should add it to their 2009 rankings

It might invert the rankings though :D

In that case, they can publish (\frac{1}{Ranking}) and make a note of the methodology somewhere in the fine print.

I just graduated from the Rutgers MSMF program. I'd be happy to help you with any specific questions/concerns you may have.

Any one any idea as to what the bottomline result of this thread was.

My understanding is that Rutgers is better.

The link dosnt work anymore.

Keep in mind that my comments and opinions of the BU program reflect what I experienced Aug 2008 - Dec 2008. That's over four years ago and things have likely, at least I hope, changed.

Yes, actually they even changed the program director. I believe with you was Andrew Lyasoff. Right now it´s a brand new director: Ahmad Namini. By the way, how was Baruch??

I see lot of transparency in BU now. I was also very skeptic about BU before applying.
But once I was offered admit, the school has created a group in Facebook for admitted students. We have the director of the program along with few current students answering to all our questions about course, placements etc.,

But am still an outsider. I am not sure if I will even join BU. But I have gained confidence in the program now...
The present Director is an alumni of BU MSMF:) So he knows what needs to be done more than anyone else.

I have a question about Rutgers,
- It has good brand name. It is rigorous. Location advantage.
- But it is in Maths dept i guess. I was advised by a former MFE stud(now working in MBS dept of a big bank) to choose B-School rather than course from Math dept. According to him, math dept courses will focus more on theory. And B-Schools scores well in selling you in market compared to math dept.

Can someone throw some light on the above opinion? Well the person didn't compare Rutgers and BU, but his opinion about general math dept courses.

The person who advised may be right I assume as after all it is a business school. Only thing is that the program in the math department was started years ago compared to that in the B-school and employers would perhaps be more used to seeing Rutgers MSMF than Rutgers MQF on a CV. And dont get me wrong but rutgers does not have the same brand value as say a columbia where even a comparatively non-traditional quant degree like MSOR can still land a quant job if you take MFE courses and work real hard of course. Same may not be for Rutgers so you may be better off choosing the most recognised degree out there as any way you would face stiff competition from others in that area like Columbia, NYU, Princeton, Baruch, CMU(NY and of course Pittsburgh) and also others not in NY but have great resources to come to NY due to higher recognition like Cornell, UCB, Stanford, Chicago etc...

Back