• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++, MATLAB, R

Entering first semester of MFE in the fall. Have been using MATLAB and R in undergrad studies the last two years. I'm getting better and better with R while bringing my MATLAB along, too. I enjoy working with these platforms.

Currently, my C++ is very limited. In fact, I dislike working with C++. IMO it's totally arcane compared to solving problems with MATLAB and R. However, this statement probably reveals my ignorance.

My question: I have the summer to hammer out a C++ class so I have a base coming into the MFE. I'm wondering if this is necessary. My summer internship allows me to work with MATLAB and R so I will be improving those skills the next few months. Really, I just want to work and read this summer, then charge hard in the fall. However I definitely don't want to get steamrolled because of a lack of C++.

One basic C++ class where we drew pictures of the solar system.
The freshman CS1300 at Colorado University. It was ... awful.
The MFE program repeatedly recommends programming knowledge and clearly warns that it will assume you have some. I'm hoping MATLAB and R will suffice.

Currently, my C++ is very limited. In fact, I dislike working with C++. IMO it's totally arcane compared to solving problems with MATLAB and R. However, this statement probably reveals my ignorance.

No, C++ is arcane in comparison to those 2 when you try to solve math related problems. However, C++ is a general purpose language. You can do a lot of things with it.

Which school are you going to be attending?

Currently, my C++ is very limited. In fact, I dislike working with C++.

This will limit your choices.

One basic C++ class where we drew pictures of the solar system.

Intriguing. What kinds of C++ classes?

Attending a Cali school while hoping to come off the waitlist at an EC school. Vague, but don't want to affect the former negatively here. I spoke poorly of the C++ class only bc I had a hard time w it. There were others who enjoyed it. I assumed drawing was a way to keep people interested. Though we used (and solved) common formulas, I was taking it for an MFE and wanted it to be more applied to ME :) I say "drawing" bc the result was a GFX window.

I've seen the more applied course here on Quantnet and am going through HW1. But as I said, Id prefer to get closer to Jedi on MATLAB and R.

A lot of this depends on what your program will require and also what your career goals are. Some quant finance fields require C++ and others don't. Depends on what tasks you'll be doing. Large data? Statistics? Are you working on models for yourself or others?

Back