• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Course?

Hi Guys/Gals,

I have been searching this forum for a thread that would answer my question, but wasn't able to find one. If you do find one, feel free to post a link.

So my question is, are there any online courses that teach C++? As many of you, I am also applying to mfe/fin math programs that require C++. I can self-study this summer but I want it so that the admissions people have some sort of proof that I have taken a semester's worth. My school doesn't offer a course in C++ and I was wondering what some of you guys do.

thanks!

A lot of people are self-taught in C++; in fact, that's how the majority of programmers I know learned. Of course there are benefits to class-style education, but personally I think the best way to learn programming is to get a good book and follow along as you experiment and tinker with your own projects. I'm not sure how MFE programs view self-taught programming; that's what I put on my application at least and I got into a number of good programs (I did mention that I had a programming student job though).

Bruce Eckel's Thinking in C++ is good and available as a free download from his website. I also liked Ivor Horton's books; I started learning C++ and MFC with this book which I highly recommend. His books have some projects (e.g. a paint program) that are progressively improved as new concepts are introduced. There's another Ivor Horton book that focuses just on C++ without any Windows programming; I've never read it but I'm sure it's just as good.

The only thing that online C++ course can help you with is self-discipline. For many people it's pretty hard to study study something on their own because of lack of attention to the subject. If you think that you don't have this problem buy Bjarne Stroustrup's book (The C++ programming language). If you finish it (even first half) you will be much better C++ programmer than most of online course graduates.

Good luck!

I would suggest you watching C++ video tutorials. You can install Visual Studio 2005, watch the tutorials in one window and do the same exercise in the other window simultaneously. I think to study basic/intermediate C++ by your own is pretty doable, I would not study math only by myself, for example. But if you would like to learn some specific area in programming such as C++ for Financial Application, for example, I’d better do it with an instructor.

My only recommendation is to sit in front of the computer and start coding... and use Google :)

If you don't have a problem in mind, you can take a look at Project Euler. There are plenty of interesting problems there.

I can self-study this summer but I want it so that the admissions people have some sort of proof that I have taken a semester's worth.

You could still self study, but talk about what you did in the "extra info" section of the application. Even if you did an online course, the value of the material covered may not be evident. However, if you discuss the projects you worked on, topics you covered, etc. in supplemental materials, I think that would suffice.

i taught myself c++ using teach yourself c++ in 21 days, downloaded visual studio. When I needed help i'd ask friends. I found learning programming was wway easier learning when you dont have to since thiers no pressure..

programming requires patience, if you do a course on it, it'll will harder because u have deadlines such as assignments, exams, etc, When your learning programming its nice to know you got all the time in the world :)

Also I found programming became more of a hobby 4 me, than something that I had to do 4 uni or i'd fail. ALthough i learnt C and Fortran at uni, so perhaps i had a little advantage but it wasn't much anywayz, u could learn c++ with no programming knowledge watsoever

Actually I would suggest Bloodshed C++, just don't forget your system("PAUSE"); line before the return. It doesn't have any of the directory nonsense to frustrate you before you can even launch a Hello World program.

Edit: Just tried reading those free books--I think I'd rather buy a better book for beginners. That author just comes on far too strong for my tastes.

Edit: Just tried reading those free books--I think I'd rather buy a better book for beginners. That author just comes on far too strong for my tastes.

I highly recommend "Absolute C++" by Walter Savitch and "Beginning Visual C++ 2008" by Ivar Horton. After which, you can move on to the books by Mark Joshi and Daniel Duffy.

Note: Joshi and Duffy have their own books, they aren't coauthors.

Thank you for your recommendation. I tried using Savitch's absolute java for a computer science course taught by a most excellent professor but it didn't really help since the prerequisite was taught so terribly, with the class going so fast, at least for me, who had never programmed before.

However, I did find the site www.cprogramming.com, which was linked from the Bloodshed C++ site. Hopefully I'll become decently proficient through that site--I hope it's like W3Schools Online Web Tutorials was for web programming--that site got me an A with PHP...hopefully this site will grant me enough C++ knowledge to at least have a workable proficiency.

Thank you once again for your reply, and I'll try to find Horton's book.

That site will show you how to hack some C++ but it won't teach how to use the language to the fullest. Neither it will show you OO which is the base of C++.

Back