• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++, what else?

Hi,

I´m currently learning C++ as a preparation for a MFE.
Still, looking at job descriptions I notice that knowledge in other languages
are desirable as well. So I ask, if I were to add another language to
my learning list, what do you recommend? Python? VBA? SQL?
(Should say that I´m decent in JAVA, Matlab)

In the internship I'm doing(Risk Management - credit risk) - it would definitely be nice if I knew how to use VBA (for excel) - I also used R quite a bit but that depends on whether the group has a licence to Matlab or not

In the internship I'm doing(Risk Management - credit risk) - it would definitely be nice if I knew how to use VBA (for excel) - I also used R quite a bit but that depends on whether the group has a licence to Matlab or not

really it's the first time I learn that R is used in the industry ! every time, they told me that R was used only in universities !

Hi,
I´m currently learning C++ as a preparation for a MFE.
Still, looking at job descriptions I notice that knowledge in other languages
are desirable as well. So I ask, if I were to add another language to
my learning list, what do you recommend? Python? VBA? SQL?
(Should say that I´m decent in JAVA, Matlab)

Many interesting combination of languages as good tools for infiltrating industry and suiting in most demands have been discussed by various experienced members throughout the forum. See these threads:

http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/how-many-programmers-are-on-quantnet.6323/

http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threa...-c-excel-any-recommendations.6646/#post-60610

is Java language used in finance ?

Yes it is but not that much. Many books have been written for engineering applications in Java and it is quite popular but it cannot beat other C based languages in terms of applicability in finance. Web applications are still widely developed in Java programming language.

Yes it is but not that much.
Is this your personal opinion or a fact that you have seen? IMHO, this is completely not true. Java is widely use in finance.

Many books have been written for engineering applications in Java and it is quite popular but it cannot beat other C based languages in terms of applicability in finance. Web applications are still widely developed in Java programming language.

Do you have any idea of what you are talking about? It seems to me you just spit an opinion without doing any research at all.

I said it is popular and used but not that much as OTHER C based languages. Other C based languages have overriden Java in popularity and you can call it my personal experience as well as fact. No need to extract it from context just for the sake of making an argument! As for existence of my idea (and lack of yours) on what I'm talking about in the above quote, here are the books you can "enjoy" reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Java-Methods-Financial-Engineering-Applications/dp/1852338326

http://www.amazon.com/Data-Structur...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308750083&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.ca/computers-prog...mputers / Programming Languages / Java&page=1

http://www.amazon.com/Object-Orient...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308750083&sr=1-2

As for the second part of that quote about the usage of Java in web development...It deserves no comment.

Yes it is but not that much. Many books have been written for engineering applications in Java and it is quite popular but it cannot beat other C based languages in terms of applicability in finance. Web applications are still widely developed in Java programming language.

This statement is completely wrong. Go to your preferable web site with jobs postings in finance and comapre Java vs C++ vs C# vs whatever. Java is far ahead of every other programming language - back office and middle office are Java worlds right now and there are no reasons why this should change in near future.

Go to your preferable web site with jobs postings in finance and comapre Java vs C++ vs C# vs whatever. Java is far ahead of every other programming language

Can I know what was your criteria of evaluation? Number of job announcements in Java section? Shall I provide popular job-listing sites for financial engineers where C++ contains 10 times more announcements than Java? Same with C/C#.

Can I know what was your criteria of evaluation?
Years of experience. What is yours?

Number of job announcements in Java section?
Yep. Mark to market ;)

Shall I provide popular job-listing sites for financial engineers where C++ contains 10 times more announcements than Java? Same with C/C#.
Yep. Go ahead. C++ can be ahead of Java (for pure financial engineering roles). C# can be close in some cases and in some banks with strong MS lobby but usually there are less positions. C ? No way!

Guys, I think you are talking about different worlds :) Tsonte, KaiRu is right, Java is the most popular platform as of now for the BO and MO systems in most of the IBs. FO of course is the different world, based on my FO experience the rulers here are C++ as development tool for researchers and VBA for traders. But of course it could be very different somewhere else :)

Years of experience. What is yours?

In criteria I meant the reason why you found Java "far ahead" of others on job listings, not biography.

In different roles. No argument about one is not best for everything. If one of PLs was "better" than others, those others would not exist. And you are talking about front-back offices, someone about trading positions, researchers, etc. popularity reflects power in that particular field.
Yep. Go ahead. C++ can be ahead of Java (for pure financial engineering roles).

So why combine all the finance into back-front office only.

Back