• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF Calculus based probability course

Hi there,

Based on CMU's online application, it seems they stress on applicant's having a calculus based probability course.

I didn't take a course like this in my undergrad and am planning on taking it now in an accredited university to strengthen my application.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what accredited schools offers this course as a non-degree study option? I checked NYU and Columbia - their courses are kinda expensive ($4k-5k).

Are there any other cheaper and also recognized options at other schools? Maybe distance learning?

How good are the online course offerings on Netmath (Univ of Illinois) considered?

Any pointers would be helpful,
Thanks.

May be you can consider Probability and statistics exam P conducted by Society of Actuaries/Canadian Actuarial Society.

Hi hftguy just wanted to know which course did you finally settle on and how did it go from there?

May be you can consider Probability and statistics exam P conducted by Society of Actuaries/Canadian Actuarial Society.

Will passing some of these actuarial exams show your proficiency in "calculus based Probability" and financial mathematics?

I checked NYU and Columbia - their courses are kinda expensive ($4k-5k).

$4k is nothing compared to what you'd spend on an MFE at a top school like CMU, NYU, Columbia (possibly $100K or more). Don't be cheap.

$4k is nothing compared to what you'd spend on an MFE at a top school like CMU, NYU, Columbia (possibly $100K or more). Don't be cheap.
Lol "Don't be cheap."

To the OP, actually it costs near $6000 per course in Columbia.

Back