• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Can I get into a decent MFE program?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this and I'm sure these questions are annoying but regardless, here goes.

General Background:
Finance + Economics double major.
3.6 ugpa with an upper trend (averaged > 3.8 for last three semesters),
3.7 finance gpa
3.7 ish quantitative gpa (calculated using courses listed below)
2 years experience in treasury department at a BB in NYC.
800 Quant GRE

Quantitative Background:
Calc 1-3, 2 Semesters of differential equations, 1 semester of linear algebra
2 semesters of calc based stats/probability theory
2 semesters of eco stats.
1 semester each of Linear programming, Optimization and Econometrics

Programming background:
Stata/SAS used in econometrics
1 semester Course in C++ and self study (went through Essential C++, Hanly)
VBA used in internship
MATLAB used in econometrics, math courses and OR courses as well as self study (introduction to matlab, Etter)

Do I stand a chance at any of the top 10-15 programs?
Are there any programs in particular that might be more receptive to my background (Stronger finance background but weaker math/programming than most applicants)?
Also, this may seem a bit ridiculous, but will being American give me a leg up as most applicants are foreign or is diversity less of a factor?

I'd be happy with a position in trading, research or risk at any BB or well known middle market (PJ, Jefferies, BNP, WF, ...). What type of program will give me a fighting chance at this type of position?

No it doesn't. He "stands a chance" of getting into any of the top 5 programs. It all depends on how he presents himself and how hard he studies for the interviews.

if you say so... I thought likes of princeton might be difficult...

Nobody said it wouldn't be difficult. He asked: "Do I stand a chance at any of the top 10-15 programs?".

If he had a GRE score of 750 the answer would be no. He has an 800, did all of the necessary schoolwork, knows more than just C++, and has some sort of work exp. Yes he stands a chance.

I would agree with you on that.... Actually I went by the headline...

Thanks.
Is there anything else you guys would suggest doing to improve my chances?
I'm considering taking a numerical methods course and a few more programming courses part-time/online somewhere.

Also, will it be an issue if my LOR are from non-quantitative courses? Most/almost all of the math courses I took were either in large classes or with a questionable command over the English language.

The first thing to realize is that you have to customize your profile/application to each program. Many of the top MFE programs look for different type of applicants so there is "no one size fit all" application. Some would stress the technical skills (C++) very seriously, some would admit the one with highest grades, etc.
Some programs would place a good number of their graduates in specific area or employers so make sure it fits your career plan as well. Programs do look at your essay and see if your goal aligns with their strength.

I believe LOR are extremely important; game winners in some situations. Do not have a literature professor write you one. Maybe a mathematics department head? A former boss?

Back