• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career in Quant after B.Tech

Hello All,
I am currently a final year undergraduate student of computer science and looking forward for a career in computational finance, i have a sound knowledge of finance, hedge funds, options ,trading etc along with that i am a sound python and c++ programmer . How should i go on for a career in this field right after my b.tech, i can do MS later on after maybe 2-3 years but right now i shall need a job to earn some money. Are there some opportunities for undergrads, may not be purely quant based, even a software developer position would be nice as an entry level job in some financial firm/hedge fund etc.

Thanks

i am afraid i fail to understand your point.... There is a shortage of software skills, but how to en cash it..!!!

I am in a similar position and will be starting as a developer for a bank this fall. I think big banks (JPM, GS, etc) are your best bet because they offer more opportunity, more networking, and the ability to move around within the organizations' lines of business. They're entry level analyst programs are pretty decent!

Hi Vibhor, I am a PG in mathematics and currently in education industry. I am purusing my actuary and wish to move into quant role. Please can you suggest how can i improve my programming skills and how to polish my knowledge towards hedge funds, derivatives etc. Thanks a ton in advance.

i have a sound knowledge of finance, hedge funds, options ,trading etc along with that i am a sound python and c++ programmer .
Thanks

I suppose that the truth of what you write here depends on what "sound knowledge" means. Speaking for myself, after finishing a Masters program at the University of Washington I'd say that I have a good introduction to options and options modeling (I was fortunate to have a really great options prof). I know only a little bit about hedge funds. I'm not sure what you mean about "trading". I'd be careful when you talk to people about overselling your knowledge.

Back