• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE CMU MSCF vs NYU MSMF

So decision time after CMU decisions just came out

my own list of pros/cons (feel free to add your own input)

CMU (pitt campus):
pros
- really transparent about placement statistics, and they are very encouraging statistics (with nice salaries/bonuses =])
-program housed by 4 different schools/faculty from 4 different schools finance/math/stat/IT departments help each other out
- program has building/roots in NYC
- mini block schedules allows both students and teachers to really focus on the class (semester long classes you sometimes get lackadaisical towards the middle of the semester)
cons
- not in NY (but honestly with such good placement statistics it seems like they network sufficiently)

NYU:
pros
- just found out from director all but one student has gotten a job for Dec 2010 grads (all got internships last year)
- taught by financial professionals; helps networking even more
- obviously being in NYC helps networking/job search; however, I plan to visit the campus as I am not sure how I feel about living in NYC (honestly, whats the rush?...I'll probably be there the next ten years or so)
cons
- not transparent at all about placement statistics (no info about salaries etc and had to really dig to find what "nearly 100%" meant)

their curriculum seem about on par: CMU is 25 mini blocks and NYU is 12 courses (with a masters project)
cost of programs isn't much of an issue for me since with a 21k scholarship to CMU their tuitions are close

any advice/thoughts?

personally i would go to nyu because i like math more than programming

I would like to provide some information regarding the course schedule in NYU. Last time I visited NYU and talked to the admission coordinator. Apparently, its MF program holds classes two days a week, and usually are in the evening. Either from 5pm-7pm or 7pm to 9pm. Personally, I don like this kind of schedule.

I would have to agree with Ken. Comparing the schools based on first year compensation is not worth it at all as it will be peanuts compared to what you make 10 years down the line, or at least it should if you're good.

Both the schools are great. I have met a few profs at both schools and both the schools have their stars. Both the schools have great placements. You should make your choice based on fit. Talk to as many students as you can and ask relevant questions. Do the same with the faculty, and see how they interact with you.

any advice/thoughts?
Time for road trip, are we?
Make an appointment to visit both their campus, sit in the classroom, talk to students and try to get a vibe of the environment. Try to picture yourself in it. Ask the students how do they like it.
A lot of this line of work builds on a personal relation between you and your future classmates, teachers and people running the program so you need to feel comfortable.
Pictures can only do so much. You need to be on the ground to "feel" it.

Yeah, I'm planning to visit both campuses in the next couple of weeks.
There's a welcome weekend event for CMU on April 15-16th. Everyone admitted was linked to this page, but it seems as if its for MBA students. Anyone planning on attending/ know if its for MSCF students as well?

Back