• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MAFN Columbia MAFN

Hello,
Yesterday I had a chance to attend the Columbia MAFN info session conducted through zoom.
The admission officer informed that the students can complete the course in either 2 semesters or 3 semesters.
In 2 semesters (Fall 2024 and spring 2025) option, there is no internship requirement.

I have around 15 years of experience in Information technology, and worked on various financial services projects as IT business systems analyst. But I don't have any specific quant related work experience.
Please can you let me know whether an internship will be critical in my case to secure a job in quant field post MFE?
Or do you think i can complete the program in 2 semesters and search job in quant field in US?

I am currently living in Canada and had to come to US in a student visa

Thanks for your guidance\input

I am by no means the expert on this as I am new to this field, but many quant masters programs put heavy emphasis on securing an internship after the first two semesters, which they try to help you out with through career development. I believe this internship is super important as it allows you to have a chance to return to that job once you finish schooling, and it gives you insight and hands-on experience in the field. Also, quant interviews are already super difficult, and I would assume new grad positions would be even more competitive. Also, two semesters seems a little quick for the amount of information you should be able to consume in an MFE (as well as electives you can take).

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge can help you out, but once you get into a master's program, I would make internships a top priority. Good luck!

Back