• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MAFN Columbia MAFN

I heard the other way lol. Majority in MFE already landed internships and FT jobs during the course while mafn career was quite mid

I heard the other way lol. Majority in MFE already landed internships and FT jobs during the course while mafn career was quite mid
nah i get what ur trying to say, but i don’t think landing ft = good career service experience, it’s more about the individual’s ability. But solely on career service’s mfe is pretty bad i’ve heard.

Abt uchicago’s mfin I’m uncertain, it’s a brand new program so.. still waiting on a couple other programs to see

Columbia is not a school you go to if you’re looking for personalized bespoke career services. it does seem like you are sort of on your own, albeit with the bare minimum stuff like resume books and such. Places like Chicago seem to feature a lot more guidance and hand holding in the job search.

i got into both and have been trying to determine how important of a factor this is for me.

Columbia is not a school you go to if you’re looking for personalized bespoke career services. it does seem like you are sort of on your own, albeit with the bare minimum stuff like resume books and such. Places like Chicago seem to feature a lot more guidance and hand holding in the job search.
Yea but seems like only half the class is employed in US vs UChicago. Do you have more info on MAFN?

I’ve seen some threads on here suggest that columbia has a better name brand around the world than uchicago? I’m a us citizen and both of these programs hold equal name recognition in my view. But i wonder if there isn’t some self selection going on in the columbia programs (and mit) having a significant portion of students go back to their homeland after studying. just a guess. Or it could be like i suggested that relatively lackluster career services make it hard for international students to get a foothold in the us during the relatively short program length.

Or it could be like i suggested that relatively lackluster career services make it hard for international students to get a foothold in the us during the relatively short program length.
Which is why MAFN program has an option for you to do the program in 3 semesters instead of 2. The extra semester is extremely important for international students to stay current with their visa longer while they search for internship/job.

I’ve seen some threads on here suggest that columbia has a better name brand around the world than uchicago? I’m a us citizen and both of these programs hold equal name recognition in my view. But i wonder if there isn’t some self selection going on in the columbia programs (and mit) having a significant portion of students go back to their homeland after studying. just a guess. Or it could be like i suggested that relatively lackluster career services make it hard for international students to get a foothold in the us during the relatively short program length.
agree, would be good to know the class profile too. I don’t think program length is a factor since it can be done in 1.5 years too

Which is why MAFN program has an option for you to do the program in 3 semesters instead of 2. The extra semester is extremely important for international students to stay current with their visa longer while they search for internship/job.
Is the MFE still only offering the 2 semester option? Seems like this would be a key differentiator between the programs for certain students

Is the MFE still only offering the 2 semester option? Seems like this would be a key differentiator between the programs for certain students
can be completed in 3 semesters too. It’s on their website

nah i get what ur trying to say, but i don’t think landing ft = good career service experience, it’s more about the individual’s ability. But solely on career service’s mfe is pretty bad i’ve heard.

Abt uchicago’s mfin I’m uncertain, it’s a brand new program so.. still waiting on a couple other programs to see
I agree with this. MFE alumni from Columbia that I have reached out to have said that the career services are near zero and that certain events that are geared for the MFE students to attend end up being sold out super quickly. I am quite confident that students have been landing internships and have better job placement simply bc the students are more impressive, not due to career services. From MAFN alumni, I have heard the career dev is getting better, and there are things like mock interviews, networking events, and speaker events to help students prepare for a career. Now based on what I see on LinkedIn and personal experience, the associate director has been quite active in responding to potential students' concerns and answering questions (at the very least she did for me).

Other thoughts/questions I have been having:
-Columbia students are probably too focused on buy-side quant roles
-What kind of things are students expecting in terms of career services? I feel like no amount of career services will help anyone take shortcuts into quant positions.
-I would assume that following this year's rankings and the MFE program's placement percentage at graduation, there will be a focus on career development improvement

Now based on what I see on LinkedIn and personal experience, the associate director has been quite active in responding to potential students' concerns and answering questions (at the very least she did for me).
Yes, @IzabelaRutkowski has been very responsive during my communication with her and I appreciate it a lot.

Back