• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MAFN Columbia MAFN

Columbia is not a school you go to if you’re looking for personalized bespoke career services. it does seem like you are sort of on your own, albeit with the bare minimum stuff like resume books and such. Places like Chicago seem to feature a lot more guidance and hand holding in the job search.

i got into both and have been trying to determine how important of a factor this is for me.
At MAFN program, students get a summer technical bootcamp, summer career development training, career development course, personalized Careers Development and access to school-wide career development office. The students have unlimited access to 1 and 1/2 advisors dedicated just for them for the duration of the program and after graduation. There are workshops, mock interviews, events etc. It is not fair to say that there is no personalized career services.

I wonder how much is attributable to career services vs competition. There’s like 6 programs in NYC that all are trying to feed into the same roles, so it shouldn’t surprising that not every graduate gets a suitable job in NYC. Where as uchicago is one of the only MFE programs in the region and likely faces less outside competition from other programs when feeding into smaller shops in chicago.

At MAFN program, students get a summer technical bootcamp, summer career development training, career development course, personalized Careers Development and access to school-wide career development office. The students have unlimited access to 1 and 1/2 advisors dedicated just for them for the duration of the program and after graduation. There are workshops, mock interviews, events etc. It is not fair to say that there is no personalized career services.
I was more so speaking to the reputation of the university as a whole (just from what i’ve heard from various undergraduates, business students, other grad students, etc), not any one specific program. This seems to not be the case for MAFN - great to hear!

MAFN students have 100% support as long as they use the plethora of resources that we provide.
Thank you! I really like that reply! Do you happen to know when the results of those who got waitlisted on Feb. 26th will come out? Can’t wait to join the program!

I was more so speaking to the reputation of the university as a whole (just from what i’ve heard from various undergraduates, business students, other grad students, etc), not any one specific program. This seems to not be the case for MAFN - great to hear!
Thank you for clarifying.

I'm unable to comment on the other programs/schools at CU, but the MAFN program appointed a dedicated career development officer in 2019. Consequently, the customized CD program initiated at that time continues to expand and enhance with each cohort.

Thank you! I really like that reply! Do you happen to know when the results of those who got waitlisted on Feb. 26th will come out? Can’t wait to join the program!
The admissions committee meeting is happening today. That will give me more clarity on the timeline. Stay tuned!

@IzabelaRutkowski have all the admits or waitlist decisions have been sent out yet ? Or are applicants that still have not received any update still considered ? And if yes, how do they stand compared to applicants that have been waitlisted ? Thank you
Everyone who applied so far is getting a consideration. The committee reviews applications on a rolling basis - they give out offers and the rest of the applications are being moved back to the consideration pool. The pace of decisions as well as the number of offer depends on the acceptance rate, the number and the quality of the incoming applications.

I’ve seen some threads on here suggest that columbia has a better name brand around the world than uchicago? I’m a us citizen and both of these programs hold equal name recognition in my view. But i wonder if there isn’t some self selection going on in the columbia programs (and mit) having a significant portion of students go back to their homeland after studying. just a guess. Or it could be like i suggested that relatively lackluster career services make it hard for international students to get a foothold in the us during the relatively short program length.
Outside of the US Columbia is probably more known simply based off the fact that its an ivy league. In my country, few people know of UChicago. Good amount know about columbia

Some portion of waitlist offers will be send for processing this week. Others will remain in the waitlist pool for a bit longer
Hi! Will the next batch of decision also be mostly if not all waitlists?
Any timeline for those who have not received any decisions yet?

Last edited:
Hi! Will the next batch of decision also be mostly if not all waitlists

Hi! Will the next batch of decision also be mostly if not all waitlists?
Any timeline for those who have not received any decisions yet?
Yes, the group of the newest offers will be for folks from the waitlist. We are getting ready to deliver another round of offers from among both the waitlisted students who do not get this round's offers as well as new and old applications. This will happen in a few weeks as we are awaiting responses from the students who already received offers a few weeks ago. If you applied and did not hear from us - do not worry. Your application is being considered.

Thank you everyone!! Good luck to y'all and look forward to crossing paths with you in the future.

Big thanks to Quantnet too. The site gave me tremendous help and guidance for the past year.
You have 3 great admits - congrats! Which one are you leaning towards?

For those who wasn't already on the waitlist, did anyone receive a decision?

Back