• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia MSFE vs. NYU MSMF vs. Cornell MFE

Hi everyone, I just want to know that, if you have the choice between Columbia MSFE, NYU MSMF and Cornell MFE, what will you choose? I'm leaning pretty much toward Columbia and NYU but have not made the decision yet. Thanks for any thoughts.

Columbia MFE (hands down!) MFE is more practical than MSMF

BTW, Congrats!

I am going for NYU. And the reason is the rigorous program, good placement and most importantly it fulfills the skills I desired to develop when I thought about pursuing MFE . The course material might be almost same for different schools but how they teach and the kind of skills you will develop at the end of the program is different among schools.

At the end of the day you got to see if a certain school fulfills your dream and purpose of education. This you can understand only by talking to a lot of students from the respective school and asking relevant questions pertaining to your interest. Based upon your needs and conversation with a lot of people you will develop a list of schools that you would like to go it and then go with the best school which happens to accept you.

If you go to a good name school you will get a job. Sooner or later everyone finds a job, but mind it you are not there just for a job but to develop a career. If your chances of getting a desired skill/career are low at a certain school due to its education structure and culture why waste a grand there then (unless you have no other option and that school is the closest you can get to). In my opinion a student should always ask about what kind of job people get from a certain school rather than what is the placement percent.

About your question: Columbia might have same advantage as NYU but talk to students from the school and you will realize that the program has some serious flaws like no required internship and huge class size. You might just diss off the huge class size but if you want to have a real learning it is imperative that you are not sitting in a lecture hall with 90 students. Not to mention the rush of 90 people during the internship and placement season. If I had the option between Columbia and NYU, of course I will got for NYU. In fact I never even applied for Columbia. Too much negatives for my 1 grand!

I´m going to Courant. I don´t think that job placement will be a major concern when considering those 3 programs. They all will prepare you very well I´m sure. At the end, when the rubber meet the road, all you need to do is ace at the job interview.

Now personally, I already have a masters degree in applied math. So, although the campus experience in Ithaca seems a nice opportunity to enjoy some nature and college life, I think that too old for that already.
So location really matters, and thus, I fell that the more time I spend in Manhattan, more connections I will be able to make in order to maximize my chances to get a job afterwards.

Big class sizes could be good or bad. It depends on you. I like talking to people and so a big class (ok, not too big though) wouldn´t be an issue for me.

Finally, consider your formation and if you want to follow it or do something different. I am an applied mathematician by heart and I want to pursue this further, so how can I not choose Courant´s program? I think that by now you got the point.

You haven't been to Ithaca, right? Every person I know that went to Cornell hates Ithaca.

I have not.
I know people that liked anyway...

And I know that there are lot who got crazy like Jack Nicholson in the movie The Shinning.

You haven't been to Ithaca, right? Every person I know that went to Cornell hates Ithaca.

I strongly disagree, Alain. Ithaca is a great place. Because of its proximity to Cayuga Lake, the weather is slightly warmer (albeit snowier) than NYC in the winter, slightly cooler than NYC in the spring and fall, and the campus easily trumps that of NYU or Columbia or any New York City school. The town isn't bad either. You won't have as many dining selections (though there are still many good places) or entertainment (though the bars in Collegetown are always busy and my class did a lot of partying), but most of us who finished the Cornell MFE in December loved our two semesters in Ithaca and many still take the bus up from Manhattan on weekends.

Ithaca campus is very beautiful.
It's a lifestyle choice. If you come from a big city, there is a huge adjustment but if you come from a small town America, you will fit right in.
If you come from oversea, it will give you the closest to a "American college experience".

I spent my first semester in Rockland county, upstate NY and it was an eye opening experience. I moved back to NYC for my next 10 years of study.

You have to live in both to truly appreciate what small town and big city have to offer.

Thanks, that helped a lot, I'm leaning toward NYU now, and I think I'll go talk to their professors this weekend.

hey trclamp

did you end up going an meeting with the NYU faculty?

i'm gonna make a similar trip sometime after the 23rd

---------- Post added at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 AM ----------

i think NYU has a LOT of part time and certificate students, so i doubt the class size will be any smaller at NYU

Back