• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia OR vs Baruch MFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can believe all you want, it won't make it reality. Look, I'm sorry you got rejected. But honestly, I'm not here to be your therapist. Sorry.

You neither have to be sorry nor did I ask you to be my therapist if that's the vibe you were getting!

@Lyosha I would ask a simple question. Would you like to share your experience of the Baruch program? and the opinion of your batch if possible.
Thanks

advait:

i have no connection to baruch whatsoever but you need to man up. seriously, this is not the industry for you if you need everything to go your way. a trader that's right 51% of the time (assuming all bets are equal) will be fine. but you can't throw a hissy fit temper tantrum like a three year old the other 49% of the time as you've done here.

if everyone with perfect grades/GREs was offered admission to the top programs, the programs would not have enough seats for the admitted students. someone said it above, but there could very well be a reason you weren't rejected that can't be disclosed. i believe (at least with most programs) that you waive the right to review your recs, so it's very possible that someone wrote that you're a pompous arse (sorry andy) who feels things should be handed to him on a silver platter. that would be (is?) a pretty big red flag.

if you're as fantastic as you say you are, i'm sure other schools will line up to admit you.

i have no connection to baruch whatsoever but you need to man up. seriously, this is not the industry for you if you need everything to go your way. a trader that's right 51% of the time (assuming all bets are equal) will be fine. but you can't throw a hissy fit temper tantrum like a three year old the other 49% of the time as you've done here. if everyone with perfect grades/GREs was offered admission to the top programs, the programs would not have enough seats for the admitted students. someone said it above, but there could very well be a reason you weren't rejected that can't be disclosed. i believe (at least with most programs) that you waive the right to review your recs, so it's very possible that someone wrote that you're a pompous arse (sorry andy) who feels things should be handed to him on a silver platter. that would be (is?) a pretty big red flag.

I do not know if you read the entire thread but Lyosha pretty much said the same thing and I proved through a "no brainer" contradiction that this can't be the case!

1. So, think a bit before you post. Just don't ramble up a few words and post senselessly.
2. Yes, I do have admits from other schools that I'd expect the average person to believe it to be more prestigious than Baruch MFE. The only issue with some of these admits is cost. And guess what douche, I've got admits from programs where I've used at least one reco from all the people whose recos I used at Baruch MFE!
3. I'm not posting with the intention of cribbing about the fact that I did not get in. In fact I stated that rejection means little to me and I am posting it in the interest of transparency. I do not know if you're mentally incapable of comprehending basic English but if you are, I request that you read the posts more carefully.
4. I never stated or implied that I wanted stuff on a "silver platter".

I don't want to argue with you and I can't care less of what you think. The only message I intend to convey is that I found a lot of fishy stuff with Baruch and it does not seem what it portrays to be personally.

"if everyone with perfect grades/GREs was offered admission to the top programs, the programs would not have enough seats for the admitted students. "

This statement is invalid given the Baruch MFE admission philosophy. Do a bit of research before you start pulling stuff out of your butt!

Lyosha I would ask a simple question. Would you like to share your experience of the Baruch program? and the opinion of your batch if possible.
Thanks

That is hardly a simple question. That is a long winded and complicated question lol. Overall the experience was exceptionally positive. Not always so, but the good outweighs the bad by quite a lot. It was extremely challenging and very rewarding. Is there a particular question you were hoping I would answer?

pruse and Joy Pathak were indeed in my cohort. I'm not sure what you mean of an "opinion of my batch". It's got some smart people, it's got some characters... is there something in particular you wanted to know?

I do not know if you read the entire thread but Lyosha pretty much said the same thing and I proved through a "no brainer" contradiction that this can't be the case!

i did, and i'm kind of ashamed about it, but i was bored. also, if you read what i wrote, you'd see i did say that someone else had already mentioned what i was about to say.

1. So, think a bit before you post. Just don't ramble up a few words and post senselessly.

i, too, wrote things like this on the internet once. then i entered high school. the other striking difference is that i was actually talking to lessers. you are not.

2. Yes, I do have admits from other schools that I'd expect the average person to believe it to be more prestigious than Baruch MFE. The only issue with some of these admits is cost. And guess what douche, I've got admits from programs where I've used at least one reco from all the people whose recos I used at Baruch MFE!

so go there and stop crying. also, i think it's blatantly obvious to anyone reading this who the douche is.

3. I'm not posting with the intention of cribbing about the fact that I did not get in. In fact I stated that rejection means little to me and I am posting it in the interest of transparency. I do not know if you're mentally incapable of comprehending basic English but if you are, I request that you read the posts more carefully.

it means so little to you that you've written pages upon pages of drivel. my reading comprehension is fine; not that i need to brag or prove myself to you, but my verbal gre was much higher than the average at that school you keep crying about. your posts have been riddled with errors, but i won't nitpick since you are clearly the greater intellect.

I don't want to argue with you

...after doing just that.

and I can't care less of what you think.

so you've said...numerous times. and yet you still responded.

This statement is invalid given the Baruch MFE admission philosophy. Do a bit of research before you start pulling stuff out of your butt!

it makes perfect sense. you're just an idiot, in addition to being a crybaby. now go back to your prestigious degree and your six figure job and all the happiness they seem to have brought you. maybe it's not too late to join the rest of us in reality. either way, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

/done

Guys,

All of the Baruch students above are in the same cohort. I am a part-time student from the next gen. I have been in classes with last year and this year's full time students. I just want to say a few points:

All of the students from these two years are close with each other. We all care about each other like siblings and it truly bothers me when I see a friend having a difficult time finding and internship or a friend having trouble with a project. I absolutely love how nearly all of the students are so nice and friendly. Geniuses are a dime a dozen these days. Kind geniuses are a rarity.

Then there is the job placement. I do not know how Baruch's stats are calculated but I can tell you this. Dan does not sleep at night until his students are taken care of. He is constantly thinking about all of us and quite nearly once a day pops into the Quant Lab and says "Meshulam, we are going to find you a job soon!".

Honestly, I have no idea about any of the other MFE programs out there. I am not writing this to compare. I am just saying that I could not be happier about my school choice. I literally feel so at home in Baruch's MFE Quant Lab, I'd rather code there then at home!

Oh, and one side point: My friends from last year have gotten jobs in risk, trading, financial engineering, and more. Come here with drive, passion, and a goal in mind and you will be in very good hands.

Its not fair to compare Columbia OR to Baruch specially at QN.. Go outside talk to people and don't be surprised if they answer you what is Baruch... I would not think twice selecting columbia out of the two.

Its not fair to compare Columbia OR to Baruch specially at QN.. Go outside talk to people and don't be surprised if they answer you what is Baruch... I would not think twice selecting columbia out of the two.

In NY this would never happen. But I agree. NO ONE here is fit to compare the two because NO ONE here attended both. That is why I don't compare; I just merely state that I am exceptionally happy with my choice. That is all you can collect here: personal reviews. Asking people there opinions on BOTH (a comparison) where they have only experienced one (or none) is strange.

Believe me it happens in NY also... Not everyone in NY reads Quantnet....
I don't know you; why would I believe you? All I can tell you is that with my current job search I have encountered:

• A few Hedgefunds
  • JP Morgan
  • Morgan Stanley
  • Credit Suisse
  • Financial software firms
  • Other small investment banks
  • etc.
Every single MD or VP who interviewed me heard of Baruch. I don't care what "Quantnet" says. I just have my own personal opinions. I joined Baruch initially because a firm I had interviewed by actually suggested Baruch MFE. They said all of their employees from Baruch were outstanding. So I applied to Baruch.

One more thing, and I feel this merits a "double post".

I am not claiming (and never have) that Baruch has the best educators. I don't know if this is true! I am not claiming that Baruch students get the highest salaries. I don't know! I am not claiming that if you leave NY firms will have heard of Baruch, I don't know!

Please don't think I am being all defensive because I think Baruch is the best program in the world... and for you - it might not be!

All I can say is that from my 1.5 years here, the good experiences have vastly outweighed the bad. Sure not everything is perfect but I love my classmates, my Dean would fly across the world just to get me an interview, and I learned a tremendous deal here (probably more from my fellow classmates then anyone!).

So if I had to choose again I would choose Baruch. But this might not be the right choice for you! Rather than listening to everyone's biased opinions, go to both programs to check them out! I'm certain both programs would let you sit in a few classes and talk with some current students. Form your own opinion. Anyone can give you advice; but they don't have to live with the consequences, you do.

I agree with Ross that its better if you took classes.
I know people from OR at Columbia and most of them I meet have already 2-3 internships offer at places like AIG GS etc. Brand name and standard of Columbia is so good in the industry that no one from the university needs to fly half way around the world to get you interview. You will get intvs just by the virtue of having Columbia on your resume.

You can take really good classes with highly prestigious Columbia Business school and not to forget prof. Derman's classes which alone will teach you far more than what many other MFE programs teach in a semester

I know people from OR at Columbia and most of them I meet have already 2-3 internships offer at places like AIG GS etc. Brand name and standard of Columbia is so good in the industry that no one from the university needs to fly half way around the world to get you interview. You will get intvs just by the virtue of having Columbia on your resume.

Wow... This blows my mind.

I just showed your comment to a senior VP in my department who is a Columbia MFE graduate. He literally had tears from his eyes after laughing so hard from reading that comment.

Thank you for the entertainment.

3pohxe.jpg

What saddens me most about Baruch (especially because I went there and the behavior gives me and others a bad name) is how everyone needs to constantly reiterate how great it is and/or put other programs down in order to lift Baruch. This also happened right after Baruch won RITC. This is not what greatness is. You don't see CMU or Princeton people here talking about how great they are, or trying to crush Baruch or NYU. Remember, greatness is already known, it needs no introduction!

is how everyone needs to constantly reiterate how great it is and/or put other programs down in order to lift Baruch.

You don't think when CMU or Princeton were starting out they advertised or posted statistics? Are you kidding me? Baruch is a CUNY school so nothing special, but the MFE program is very very new and is in a whole new league. So it needs some media yeah. If Columbia was a CUNY school and came out with their MFE, they wouldn't advertise or brag about winning competitions? Seriously?

Also side note, I never ever put down any other school and never will. I have never been to them and as such am in no place to judge.

You don't think when CMU or Princeton were starting out they advertised or posted statistics? Are you kidding me? Baruch is a CUNY school so nothing special, but the MFE program is very very new and is in a whole new league. So it needs some media yeah. If Columbia was a CUNY school and came out with their MFE, they wouldn't advertise or brag about winning competitions? Seriously?

Also side note, I never ever put down any other school and never will. I have never been to them and as such am in no place to judge.

There's a difference between advertising and crushing all dissenting opinions.

There's a difference between advertising and crushing all dissenting opinions.
"Baruch" has never crushed any opinions. If they had please provide proof here. I personally have never said anything negative about a single other school ever. You're basing your information on what a few students posted some time or another?

"Baruch" has never crushed any opinions. If they had please provide proof here. I personally have never said anything negative about a single other school ever. You're basing your information on what a few students posted some time or another?

It's tough, I know. But when one puts himself on a pedestal, one makes himself a target for inquisition, no?

I didn't realize you were a public relations officer for Baruch. If I'd known there were openings I would have submitted an application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back