• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Convertible Bond Pricer

Hi, just curious, what is the best model to price Convertibles? Say, if I use Crank Nicolson, how can I deal with the constraints at each time step? Or what's the popular tool as pricer ? :dance::dance:

Hi, just curious, what is the best model to price Convertibles? Say, if I use Crank Nicolson, how can I deal with the constraints at each time step? Or what's the popular tool as pricer ? :dance::dance:
here's a CB model that I have done for a class a while ago. It was based on Nick Calamos' book. It is a simple binomial tree model with credit-adjusted discount rates. As stock price drops, the discount rate increases accordingly. For more details check out this book.

Attachments

• convertible_bond_pricing.xls
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,233
Does anyone know any model to price dual binary options? Thanks for any help that comes my way.

Binoux

I know Prof Derman has a old paper on pricing convertible bonds via binomial methods (easy to read/ understand and with intuitive reasoning for the results)

Here is a link to the pdf
http://www.ederman.com/new/docs/gs-valuing_convertibles.pdf

It also uses credit spreads which vary on the tree, so maybe similar to the other method John mentioned !

Thanx for the post John! Really helped me understand convertible bonds.

Convertible bond tree

Dear quant community,

I would like to implement the Hung and Wang model: (a two factor equity, int rate ) in order to price a Convertible Bond. Since I have only a mathematical background, (no finance, no programming) I don't know how to implement the model: I did it with "normal" excel but my goal is to use VBA to extend the nb of steps.

Do you recommend a book which could help me succeed in this task? Do you know any sources which could be of interest for this project?

Many thanks in advance :)

Hi,

Thanks for the .xls

What are or is the most popular pricing model(s) for convertible bonds currently used on trading desks?

Back