• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Dark Secrets of 'Prestigious' Programs: Caveat Emptor

Here are some specific issues that may be relevant to many of the potential MFE and Quant applicants on this forum and their selection of various programs and related career issues as known from trusted sources.

A much ‘respected’ program [particularly ‘respected’ by O.P. with name starting with Ily, who most know about on this forum] discussed here turned up some interesting stuff that apparently went unnoticed by many vocal critics of such programs. That program sent admission letters last year to applicants for its Master of Engineering in Quantitative Finance program scheduled to begin last Fall. After joining the program, it became known to some from insiders that the Master of Engineering in Quantitative Finance program would not exist for at least another year or probably more. It was yet to be even ‘considered’ for approval by the institution and the proposal would be made next summer or later by the first department head who was expected to join the program next year. Some of the ill-fated candidates who thought that they were enrolled in this prestigious university’s and program’s first batch of Master of Engineering in Quantitative Finance had a rude awakening on knowing that they would graduate without any ‘real’ Quantitative Finance education or degree.

If one carefully studies the career trajectories of the top ‘stars’ (clue: who got the most ‘glamorous’ of jobs sought by many newbie MFE applicants on this forum) from some of the most highly ‘ranked’ ( ‘top ten’) programs, one would find that many of those stars burnt out within less than a couple of years. Last time one checked upon a few of those stars’ current professional status, they were like many others in the Financial Engineering field: not occupied in the same profession any more or searching for a job. Here is a clue about those programs: one of those programs is known for placing many for internships at the most ‘respected’ investment bank, and, the other program is known to desperately want to place its interns in that bank: it had placed at least one intern with that i-bank who happened to go elsewhere after the internship.

Can you be any more less specific?
I see that you try to bring more transparency to those MFE programs and dispel myths (which are greatly appreciated here) but I'm afraid you are adding confusion to it. What programs are we talking about here? What problems they have?
I haven't heard of any "Master of Engineering in Quantitative Finance" program that started last year. Obviously, if it is that new, it is unfair to call them "much respected program".
If you want people to see you as "trusted sources" you have to have a conviction to be open and name names, instead of dropping confusing hints like this.

I agree with Andy. The entire post was confusing. If you can't name names, I believe that you are not doing a good job in making others aware about such programs.

What are we in grade school on a scavenger hunt or something? You gotta be way more straight to the point man

Respectfully stated, if so called 'Ninja’ skilled researchers can’t figure out the easiest clues about due diligence on matters that are easier to figure out than the login riddle questions for logging into this forum, what good are those Ninja skills. The specific clues are based upon prior discussions on these forums; hence the solution, i.e., names of the three programs, is self-contained and evident to those who want to make the needed research effort in reading this forum. For reasons that will remain unstated, the specific names have not been and will not be mentioned in this message although those who can relate to a policy of 'do no harm' will understand. It is not the object of this message to name specific names. Rather it is to highlight that the programs that are often treated with greatest reverence may probably be among the least scrutinized on such forums in contrast to some others that are bashed openly for reasons known only to those who seem to take glee in bashing them: who will also remain unnamed in this message. Look into prior discussions on similar and related matters in this forum, and anyone with less than average research skills can piece together the specific names for each of the three programs and other protagonists. For finding the specific individuals from the last two programs, one may need average research skills in searching the same external database that the 'Ninja’ skill research statement referred to and was posted by one of the respondents in this thread.

Let's not ridicule OP. He is trying to help through arguably unconventional/arbitrary methods. My mailbox is open 24/7 for anonymous tips.
Many of the claims are not unique to any program, be it "top tier" or "also-ran". People are unhappy. Expectations are not met. Things are not as they seem.

If anyone wants to investigate the clues left by OP, be my guest. With all modesty, I'm not yet a "Ninja" skilled researcher.

If we all take a guess, one of us will get it right. I'll start

MIT

haha.. I read this at 6:30AM on my way to work... and couldn't make any sense out of it.. I thought maybe my brain's still not functional n is sleeping.. but reading it again now.. m even more confused...

well ill take a shot at UCLA or JHU or maybe........

Sorry Aj Kappor, I know you are trying to help, but if you really want to help, you should be open...

Here is one last and final clue to get you started: start with the most obvious non-random clue based upon very specific data given. You already know what it is as you notice it staring in your face in the above discussion. Just put the most obvious clue and the most obvious tool together and the answer will be staring in your face. For the first name, there is no other answer except for only one; therefore there is no need to guess as this one is not a multiple-choice puzzle. The above process should take no more than five seconds or at most ten if you know what you are doing. For really quick thinkers with quick fingers, it should take no more than probably two to three seconds with each step executed in about a second.

Here are some specific issues that may be relevant to many of the potential MFE and Quant applicants on this forum and their selection of various programs and related career issues as known from trusted sources.

A much ‘respected’ program [particularly ‘respected’ by O.P. with name starting with Ily, who most know about on this forum] discussed here turned up some interesting stuff that apparently went unnoticed by many vocal critics of such programs. That program sent admission letters last year to applicants for its Master of Engineering in Quantitative Finance program scheduled to begin last Fall. After joining the program, it became known to some from insiders that the Master of Engineering in Quantitative Finance program would not exist for at least another year or probably more. It was yet to be even ‘considered’ for approval by the institution and the proposal would be made next summer or later by the first department head who was expected to join the program next year. Some of the ill-fated candidates who thought that they were enrolled in this prestigious university’s and program’s first batch of Master of Engineering in Quantitative Finance had a rude awakening on knowing that they would graduate without any ‘real’ Quantitative Finance education or degree.

If one carefully studies the career trajectories of the top ‘stars’ (clue: who got the most ‘glamorous’ of jobs sought by many newbie MFE applicants on this forum) from some of the most highly ‘ranked’ ( ‘top ten’) programs, one would find that many of those stars burnt out within less than a couple of years. Last time one checked upon a few of those stars’ current professional status, they were like many others in the Financial Engineering field: not occupied in the same profession any more or searching for a job. Here is a clue about those programs: one of those programs is known for placing many for internships at the most ‘respected’ investment bank, and, the other program is known to desperately want to place its interns in that bank: it had placed at least one intern with that i-bank who happened to go elsewhere after the internship.

quite a conundrum...

Most vague thread I have come across on QN. Why are people even replying to it.

Back