• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Deutsche Bank and UBS quant jobs

I had a question. Are UBS and Deutche Bank hiring for their quant divisions, especially international students who need H1-visa?
I could not find anything on their website. Is there a recruiter whom I can contact for these two banks. Which of the leading banks is hiring right now?

Try Credit Suisse. I know that they did hire a few entry-level quants that needed visas this past year (starting this summer).

So only Credit Suisse is hiring international students( even if I use 17 month OPT extension are banks e-verified) among all the leading banks like GS, JPMorgan,DB and UBS?
Is there is a recruiter who can help me in this or should I apply directly.

All I said was that I know that Credit Suisse hired a few foreign students who needed visa sponsorship. That doesn't mean that other firms did not do the same; I just don't happen to know anyone personally that fits the description that was hired by another bank. And, sorry, I don't know any recruiters at CS.

I had a question. Are UBS and Deutche Bank hiring for their quant divisions, especially international students who need H1-visa?

We're not allowed to say the names of the firms we recruit for, but one of those definitely is...

As far as I know, Credit Suisse only wants PhDs. I remember running into them at a Columbia career fair and when they said I had a BS, I was asked if I was joking. They said they wanted PhDs only. Maybe UBS might want them.

The people I know who were picked up by Credit Suisse were MS grads from Columbia. BS grads from Columbia generally do not have the skills needed, but it's not limited to the PhD level. Let's call it like it is. Columbia undergrad is good for liberal arts, not quant. The quant graduate students at Columbia generally come from stronger quant backgrounds, study apart from the undergrads, and are recruited at all graduate levels including masters. I would highly doubt that an undergrad out of a top engineering school would be disqualified from a job at CS.

As far as I know, Credit Suisse only wants PhDs. I remember running into them at a Columbia career fair and when they said I had a BS, I was asked if I was joking. They said they wanted PhDs only. Maybe UBS might want them.

Define a top tier engineering school. I went to a first-tier engineering school and they looked at me like I was mad.

Some bits of CS are very specific about PhDs, and yes the use the "top school" term.
...but no, like pretty much everyone else they don't define "top school".

I do not speak for UBS, but there is no policy on PhDs that I've ever seen. They see that as evidence of what they are looking for, but not proof, and that cuts either way.

In general there is no "in general" :)
Different managers like different things. Some hate MFEs, other hire nothing else. Some will only look at PhDs, and there are something like 100 schools in the "top ten".
That's before we get to stuff like some liking Russian and French schools, some equating a DEA to a PhD, and of course the school they went to was a "top school" :)

However IlyaKEightSix was being more than a bit optimistic trying to get an entry level quant job anywhere with a BS. The market is divided between those who think you must have a PhD and those who see MS as the base, very few see BS that way.

Dude, stop bit**ing. It is not an easy time for anyone out there. You don't get to that corner office immediately out of college. I've never felt like my education entitled me to anything. You have to earn your dues, in any endeavors you choose.

Rather than bitching about how your education has failed you (a notion that I really don't buy -- let's save it for a better day), how about trying to figure out why you were not picked over the other candidates? Hmm.

Oh! Maybe you don't get the spot because you're just not good enough. QED.

However IlyaKEightSix was being more than a bit optimistic trying to get an entry level quant job anywhere with a BS. The market is divided between those who think you must have a PhD and those who see MS as the base, very few see BS that way.

Bleh. I know of a Lehigh alumni who's a quant director with only a BS in IEOR, but he picked up a lot of programming at work.

If money wasn't an issue (single mother teaching piano), I'd stay in school no problem. But I was trying to find a way to earn some money doing something I loved.

And now I'm looking at an unpaid FIX internship and hopefully an acceptance to Rutgers for an MS in stat. If I get the MS though, I'll apply for a PhD at Stony Brook (odds are I won't make it to Berkeley/MIT/Stanford), and try to look for a back door into guess-where.

It seems I'll hold up. Hopefully.

Back