• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do Banks Hire Older Workers as Analysts?

Hi, this might not be entirely related to the topic of quants, but was wondering if someone might be able to answer.

I'm in my early 30s and have been working as a web developer for the past 4 years. I'd like to work as a C++ developer at a trading desk. My C++ skills are solid but I have no professional experience and it's been tough because of the old catch-22--you can't get a job without experience but you need experience to get a job. So, I decided to apply to several big firms, like GS and Morgan Stanley, for a Technology Analyst position.

Does anyone know what are the chances of getting hired as a Tech Analyst if you're in your early 30s? Will they reject your application if you're in your 30s?

* I graduated college almost 10 years ago.
* I work for a well-known dot-com.
* I don't have a graduate degree.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Why not get a MFE degree? Many people do Masters degrees like an MBA to do career changes.

Why not get a MFE degree? Many people do Masters degrees like an MBA to do career changes.

Even though it is a good idea, no one will buy academic experience as Experience (for example, coding in C++), unless you apply for internship position, which could be a tough choice if you already have a full-time job. I personally had similar experience where I apply to some Jr. level position that deals with heavy C++ and getting rejected right away by the reason of being overqualified (Bloomberg), and at the same time I don't have enough qualifications for mid-level or senior positions (they want Real experience in C++ and not just a year or so).

I personally had similar experience where I apply to some Jr. level position that deals with heavy C++ and getting rejected right away by the reason of being overqualified (Bloomberg), and at the same time I don't have enough qualifications for mid-level or senior positions (they want Real experience in C++ and not just a year or so).

Overqualified and under qualified.. Sing it loud brother... I know the tune...

The phrase should be read as "you can't get a job without experience but you need a job to get experience"

You'd think someone would have caught it earlier being that this is a quant aka "the smart guys" forum haha. Good catch Andy. I had to think about it for a bit too.

Back