• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Energy Trader new to QuantNet got some Q's =)

Hello! :)

I'm an electricity trader for a power generator operating in a spot market.
I was wondering how many of you guys are into energy trading in here. :P

Also I'm having troubles implementing the 2-factor mean-reverting Pilipovic Model -_-"

Heya guys!

No general energy trading exposure but a bit of risk management related to crude oil futures for hedging at ExxonMobil oil sands in canada(syncrude).

I've got some experience in power structuring. Where are you based?

I'm based in Southeast Asia. :)

I've recently passed the ERP given by GARP, but to my frustrations, I find it hard to implement the price discovery models discussed from its readings. I don't really have access to amazon from where I am, so obtaining the books mentioned in this forum is quite a hard task.

I was wondering if anyone could help point me to the right direction in terms of Implementing financial models. All I have right now is a Mathematica 5.1, and a book written by d. pilipovic on energy risk. Before I take on the hard models... maybe I can practice with "easier" more simple ones.

:) If you guys have questions about electricity trading and other stuff, feel free to message me or just post in here. I wanna help out others too.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

No general energy trading exposure but a bit of risk management related to crude oil futures for hedging at ExxonMobil oil sands in canada(syncrude).

That's awesome. Oil sands are actually making a push into being considered as part of "Conventional Reserves". I actually find it funny that Canada is second only to Saudi Arabia when it comes to oil reserves.

:) If you guys have questions about electricity trading and other stuff, feel free to message me or just post in here. I wanna help out others too.

Maybe you can do a blog post / fresher on electricity trading and stuff on this site to get the conversation started

I'm based in Southeast Asia. :)

I've recently passed the ERP given by GARP, but to my frustrations, I find it hard to implement the price discovery models discussed from its readings. I don't really have access to amazon from where I am, so obtaining the books mentioned in this forum is quite a hard task.

I was wondering if anyone could help point me to the right direction in terms of Implementing financial models. All I have right now is a Mathematica 5.1, and a book written by d. pilipovic on energy risk. Before I take on the hard models... maybe I can practice with "easier" more simple ones.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

That's awesome. Oil sands are actually making a push into being considered as part of "Conventional Reserves". I actually find it funny that Canada is second only to Saudi Arabia when it comes to oil reserves.

AbeBooks Official Site - New Out of Print Books Maybe this will help with books for your location.

Oil Sands are a great resource. Actually, in terms of overall oil reserves from Oil Sands Canada is greater than Saudi Arabia. The problem is that we only know how to extract about 20-30% of it at the moment, but there is a lot of research being done on increasing that. Venezuela has lots of oil sands too but it is too deep for it to be profitable at the moment. USA has the largest oil shales reserves in the world but once again, profitability is the issue. Canada is the largest supplier of oil now to USA if I am not wrong.

... Venezuela has lots of oil sands too but it is too deep for it to be profitable at the moment.

... and Chavez is running the country to the ground.

Back