• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Engineering (highly mathematical) PhD.

Engineering (highly mathematical) PhD.: Resume Help

Hi,

I am 5th year PhD. student , and I am planning to graduate in May-10. I have a mechanical engineering degree from IIT (India) and my PhD. is in applied dynamical systems in an engineering department (Ranked in top-15). I have also completed coursework for a Masters in Interdisciplinary Math here.

The purpose of my post to ask the experts how relevant are my skills in the Quant market.

My strengths are:

1). Dynamical systems/Nonlinear dynamics/Chaos theory: Advanced knowledge of this area.

2). Analysis : I have taken 4 courses in Real and Functional analysis in the Math department, and use it extensively in my thesis.

3). ODEs: Again, the field of dynamical systems is intricately linked with ODEs and hence thats another of my strong point.

4). Markov chain based methods (called set-oriented methods in our field) : One of the major techniques I use in my research is based on properties of Markov chains and behavior of systems under random perturbations (or noise). I have also worked on noisy data and extracted some robust information from it.

5). I have completed a 2 course sequence in stochastic processes. I also use *Some* stochastic analysis in my research and will probably use some more in the next 6-7 months.

I have 2 journal publications (and working on one more) and about 6-7 conference presentations.

I would appreciate any inputs into how to best represent this in my resume/cover letter/application to increase my chance of an interview in a quant firm.
Any other comments are welcome too.

Thanks.

So why don't you go to the head hunters right away? You have a Ph.D., you know more mathematics and computers than many of us already.

@Andy: Thanks for your reply. I have been looking at various previous threads on the forum, and have also had a look at the list of books in that thread. I have read the first of those guides but not on structuring. I will do that next.
I have started working on the "Heard on the street" book, but only problems I can do are in the brainteasers and probability chapters.

@Sak: I do know quite a bit of Math, but I am just wondering if the kind of Math of I do is appreciated/valued in the quant community.

Are their any recruiters/HHs in these forums ? Any inputs from them would be great!

Thanks.

Back