• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Favorite books about wall street

John said:
'The Education of a speculator' by Niederhoffer offers plenty of interesting tales of a future trader: from childhood in Brooklyn's Brighton Beach, through education at Harvard, to a career as trader in Wall Street..

Niederhoffer says the best trading ideas are found in the National Enquirer :)

lol if I ever find them (I have a huge collection, they take up most of my apartment and I have quite a few at my parent's house)

FROM TODAY'S WALL STREET JOURNAL (how timely!):

Some (Investing) Books for the Beach

By DAVE KANSAS
August 7, 2006; Page R3

With heat baking much of the U.S. in the past couple of weeks, many folks are trying to find relief on the beach or at the lake. When trotting out to your favorite vacation spot, it is always good to bring a few books along to pass the time.

It doesn't hurt to mix in some learning with the trashy page-turners. Many investing books make for better doorstops than reading. But there are more than a few gems out there. The following list offers some good reads on subjects that will augment your investing knowledge while not boring you to tears.

The selections are grouped in three areas: investing strategies, history and economics. Opting for one from each category should have you well equipped for vacation-reading time.

Investing Strategies

"Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor," by John Bogle (John Wiley & Sons Inc.). This book from the former Vanguard chief provides good basics on how to think about mutual-fund investing. Mr. Bogle, naturally, favors the indexing strategy that made Vanguard famous, while touching on other aspects of fund investing such as long-term planning, asset allocation and proper risk taking.

"The Intelligent Investor Revised Edition," by Benjamin Graham and Jason Zweig. (Collins Business Essentials). Mr. Graham is famous for his book "Security Analysis," considered the bible of value investing. This book takes a more main-street approach and provides excellent pointers on how to approach investing. Warren Buffett is among the many Mr. Graham admirers in the investment firmament. Mr. Zweig, a Money Magazine writer, updates this classic with modern examples that outline Mr. Graham's still-salient points.

"The Little Book That Beats the Market," by Joel Greenblatt (Wiley). If you are looking for a quick investing read, this is for you, since it is, in fact, little. Mr. Greenblatt, a successful hedge-fund manager, provides a sharply written, anecdote-rich, easy-to-understand investing strategy that any junior-high schooler would understand. While the book boasts of a "magic formula," it is basically a reiteration of an age-old theme: Smart investors buy good companies cheaply. Unlike long-term value players, Mr. Greenblatt makes the case for a bit more portfolio turnover.

"Navigate the Noise: Investing in the New Age of Media and Hype," by Richard Bernstein (Wiley). Mr. Bernstein, long-time strategist at Merrill Lynch & Co., has a lively writing style and dissects the rather cluttered world of financial information in a manner helpful for individual investors. As the book title implies, there isn't a shortage of financial news and information available today, from the Internet to newspapers to television. Mr. Bernstein tells you what matters.

History

"Reminiscences of a Stock Operator," by Edwin Lefèvre (Wiley). This is a classic that gives readers a sense of a trader's mind. It is a fictionalized account of Jesse Livermore, considered one of the great speculators during the 1920s stock-market boom. Though many things have changed on Wall Street, the mind of a trader remains the same.

"When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management," by Roger Lowenstein (Random House). A wonderful inside-the-room tale about the collapse of Long Term Capital Management, a hedge fund that counted Nobel laureates among its ranks. LTCM played such a huge role in the market that it couldn't be allowed to completely fail, and the drama surrounding its rescue seems to come straight from a pulp novel. But it is all true.

"Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco," by Bryan Burrough and John Helyar (Perennial/HarperCollins). One of the best-written books about finance, it recounts the brutal takeover battle for RJR Nabisco, eventually won by private-equity firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. With private-equity firms, including KKR, once again playing a huge role in the markets, this book gives a good insider tale about how these money machines operate.

"Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation," by Edward Chancellor (Farrar, Straus and Giroux). There are many books about the history of speculation gone awry, but this is one of the most comprehensive and well written. Mr. Chancellor covers all the familiar bases (tulip mania, the South Sea scheme, the 1929 crash),and also hits on unlikely areas such as railway mania of the 19th century. He provides an interesting take on the origins of speculation.

"The Economic Consequences of the Peace," by John Maynard Keynes (Penguin). An analysis of what went wrong during the post-World War I peace discussions. Mr. Keynes was briefly attached to the postwar-negotiating team but resigned in protest. This book correctly anticipates how the heavy reparation bill for Germany would lead to future problems.

Economics

"The Worldly Philosophers: The Lives, Times and Ideas of the Great Economic Thinkers," by Robert L. Heilbroner (Touchstone). A fun little romp through the minds of economic thinkers from Karl Marx to Thorstein Veblen and Joseph Schumpeter. If you have an interest in how economic ideas have evolved over the centuries, this is the book for you.

"Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk," by Peter Bernstein (Wiley). Not strictly about economics, it provides an excellent history about risk and its vital role in markets, tracking it back to the mathematicians who first grappled with the notion of risk. This book is highly regarded on Wall Street. Mr. Bernstein's "The Power of Gold: The History of an Obsession" would appeal to goldbugs. But if you can read only one book, "Against the Gods" is the one.

"Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything," by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner (HarperCollins). This clever book applies economic thinking to find cheating among sumo wrestlers, test flimflammery by teachers and explanations for the surprising drop in crime rates during the past 15 years. Written in an accessible way, "Freakonomics" shows how economics isn't just the plaything of wonky tweed-jacketed professors. Full disclosure: Mr. Levitt and I went to high school together.

"The Theory of the Leisure Class," by Thorstein Veblen (Dover Thrift). I enjoyed this one partly because "The Great Gatsby" is perhaps my favorite book. The rich -- even though there are more of them -- still remain different from the rest of us, long after Mr. Veblen penned this book.

'Reminiscences of a Stock Operator' is by far my favorite book (maybe even ahead of mine!) for those of you who haven't read this oldie but goodie, stop what you're doing and get it now. I think it's even free now on the internet somewhere.

Anyway, I get asked this question a lot so I've posted my entire trading library on my site, dig through it and learn from those who have taken the time to share with you their stories.

Tim
Author, An American Hedge Fund: How I Made $2 Million as a Stock Operator & Created a Hedge Fund

Yes, Education of a Speculator was good. The guy's other book "Practical Speculation" wasn't so good, but still might be worth reading, just to get into the guy's head and see what he's really about.

A book that hasn't been mentioned which I think should be on top of the list is "Stock Market Wizards" by Jack Schwager. He also has another one "The New Stock Market Wizards", these books are interviews with some of the top and successful traders in the business. It is really a good book for someone who wants to learn about trying to make a profit in the stock market, and the kind of systems that people use, or used before until they were uncovered by the majority and have become obsolete.

Oh, and "Investment Biker" by Jim Rogers, is a great read for fun and for investment knowledge. Mr. Rogers has made a killing through investing, he's very successful, and the book is great, because he travels around the world on a motorcycle and visits all the places which I wish to visit sometime in my life.

"The Money Game" by Adam Smith, yes Adam Smith, not THE Adam Smith, but that's what the author decided to call himself. It's a very interesting book, take a look. I think the author is a journalist or something, but he shares his knowledge of the way the game works, it's really good book.

Also, look into the material that Peter Navarro writes, he has many good books and an audio book which make a lot of sense, and a must have for gaining knowledge from a pretty good money manager / professor, he also explains many of the things that are involved in his line of work.

'Reminiscences of a Stock Operator' is by far my favorite book (maybe even ahead of mine!) for those of you who haven't read this oldie but goodie, stop what you're doing and get it now.

Tim, after having a hard time to find your book in numerous Manhattan book-stores I bought 'Reminiscences of a Stock Operator' which I'm reading now. As to your book I had to order it from Amazon where it's out of stock. So I'm going to read Reminiscences... first. Hopefully when I'm done with it your book will arrive.

Tim, after having a hard time to find your book in numerous Manhattan book-stores I bought 'Reminiscences of a Stock Operator' which I'm reading now. As to your book I had to order it from Amazon where it's out of stock. So I'm going to read Reminiscences... first. Hopefully when I'm done with it your book will arrive.

Yah I'm selling my book exclusively at Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com---surprisingly, bookstores are lousy places to sell books! Check your Amazon account, they should plenty of books available now so if yours isn't shipping for a while, cancel and re-order it. Sorry about that, it takes a few weeks to work out the kinks.

Check your Amazon account, they should plenty of books available now so if yours isn't shipping for a while, cancel and re-order it. Sorry about that, it takes a few weeks to work out the kinks.

Thanks Tim. My copy of your book was shipped yesterday from Amazon.

Oh, and "Investment Biker" by Jim Rogers, is a great read for fun and for investment knowledge. Mr. Rogers has made a killing through investing, he's very successful, and the book is great, because he travels around the world on a motorcycle and visits all the places which I wish to visit sometime in my life.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 'Investment Biker' as well. Make sure you a hold of his sequel 'Adventure Capitalist', story in which he traded a motobike in for a customized Benz convertible and new companion (now his wife). Also in same theme of discover investment idea by travelling into the inner lands which are the Third World and emerging countries.
http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Capitalist-Ultimate-Road-Trip/dp/0812967267/

When Genius Failed

When it comes to books about Wall Street, I think one of the best (and my favorite) is "When Genius Failed" by Roger Lowenstein. WGF is a nice expose on the rise and fall of Long Term Capital Management.

Other receiving honorable mention are Liar's Poker, The Predators' Ball, Den of Thieves, last but not least, Barbarians at the Gate.

Fool's Gold

Fool's Gold by Gillian Tett, How the Bold Dream of a Small Tribe at J.P.Morgan Was Corrupted by Wall Street Greed and Unleashed a Catastrophe.

Personally for me it is worth reading on two accounts.

1. How J.P.Morgan derivatives team built the structured credit business. As such it offered a historical account of the evolution of derivatives-based structured credit and asset-based structured finance products.

2. The tight risk management practices that J.P.Morgan ( and Dimon) advocates and abides by which eventually saved JPMorgan/Chase from the subprime crisis, allowing it emerge as the strongest banking group in USA.

The irony is that even though J.P.Morgan ( and a couple others) pioneered many of the structured credit products, it felt very reluctant when it comes to getting involved in mortgage-based products. The reason is that J.P.Morgan realized, as described on the book, did not have the resources and the ability to properly model and risk-manage the mortgage-backed securities.

Anyone --- especially quants-- interested in structured derivatives products would surely enjoy this book. Technical words such as super senior, mezzanine, bespoke, ABX, correlation, gaussian copula, value-at-risk are discussed in great length throughout the book.

Back