• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE General or GRE Math

I'm currently in my third year doing BSc Financial Analysis.

I got very bad grade (D) for calculus and linear algebra during first year. Because it is a UK system, the first year results don't count in the GPA and my current GPA is 3.7/4.0. I know the grades do matter when I apply for top schools MFE.

So I would like to ask whether taking a GRE Math subject test (and good score) will help compensating the bad grades from year one? Or should I consider and work hard only on the general test?

Learn Calculus from a well-written book; gain confidence by solving more problems from Piskunov or Maron.
Applied Linear Algebra by Olver, proofs from Axler.
I think, you'd be in a better place - regardless of whether you choose to take a test to demonstrate your competency/skills.

Back