• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Green card process?

DMX

Seeing that a lot of us on the forums are international students, I was wondering if anyone has been through the employement-based green card process?

1. How flexible are banks in willing to file you under the EB2 process vs EB3 after an MFE? (I know that it also depends on the requirement of an advanced degree for the job (as well as the fact that you, of course, hold the advanced degree in questio), but have banks in the past been willing to tweak requirements so your filing under EB2 is more likely to be successful?)

2. Has anyone been following the new bill that, if implemented, would give green cards to all US advanced degree holders with a job offer (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220938/GOP_s_tech_visa_bill_copies_literally_Democrat_s_bill)? Thoughts? Opinions? For me this would be a godsend but not sure if it will get passed in time to matter...

I went through employment-based Green Card process in EB-1 category. Got the Green Card in 8 months.
Depends on which country you are from.
For India and China, EB-2 takes 5 years and EB-3 takes 12 years.
Bank does not have any flexibility. It all depends on the job advertisement. If the job advertisement expicitly states that Masters degree is REQUIRED, then you can apply under EB-2 category. Otherwise, you have to apply under EB-3 category. It all depends on the job advertisement which you have to submit to labor department and USCIS.
Those bills are just false hopes and dreams. That is never going to happen. They keep proposing these bills and yet many IT people have been waiting for past 10 years for their Green Cards.

TraderJoe - how did you manage to go through the EB-1 category? (were you sponsored by a BB? HF? what degree did you have?).

Back