• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Guess the new 2011 MFE rankings!!

Lin

this should be an interesting thread..

heres what I think based only on my experience applying last fall

1. NYU
2. Columbia
3. CMU
4. Baruch
5. UCB
6. Cornell
7. Chicago
others..

I did not add some such MIT as they are not so quant oriented..

1. NYU
2. Columbia
3. CMU
4. Baruch
5. UCB
6. Cornell
7. Chicago
others..

Not that because I'm joining the program...But I actually think UCLA MFE program is quite good and should be one of the top ranking ones....I didnt take my chances with any others though...

Not that because I'm joining the program...But I actually think UCLA MFE program is quite good and should be one of the top ranking ones....I didnt take my chances with any others though...
I am joining too :) but since its relatively new and not as established as the other..

UCLA's MFE is like a sleeping giant. They're relatively new, but once they start gaining reputation, they'll be very prestigious.

Will it still be in the 1-5,6-10, etc. format as last time is the question...

1-5:
Baruch
CMU
NYU
Princeton
Stanford
6-10:
Berkeley
Chicago
Columbia
Cornell
Minnesota

it amazes me that people still have such a flawed understanding of the quality of these programs.

i guess once they matriculate and see how things work out re: placement they'll have a better understanding. maybe?

sure, that's an easy one.

some programs seem to have a better reputation among applicants than they do in the working world. this is, for lack of a better word, fallacious as mfe programs are intended to be terminal degrees. to complete the circle, if mfes are terminal degrees, and if the goal is to get a job out of school, it would make sense for applicants to apply to only those schools that have proven to be successful.

of course, if hundreds of applicants apply to lesser schools year after year and perpetuate the idea that these schools are somehow their golden tickets to trading desks, the schools have absolutely no reason to improve their curriculum or career services.

caveat emptor, and all that jazz.

1. NYU
2. Columbia
3. CMU
4. Baruch
5. UCB
6. Cornell
7. Chicago
others..

Lin, I think these rankings are pretty close. But I would add Stanford ahead of UCB and Princeton at #2 or #3. If we're trying to predict rankings, we shouldn't exclude less quant oriented programs that will show up in the actual rankings.

It will use a format similar to those employed by the US News rankings i.e each program is ranked individually, not in a group of 5 as in our 2009 ranking.

Well then I'll redo my rankings:
0) Minnesota
1) Princeton
2) NYU
3) CMU
4) Stanford
5) Baruch
6) Columbia
7) Berkeley
8) Chicago
9) MIT
10) Cornell
25) Johns Hopkins :D

Andy, btw, did you talk to the head of financial math at Johns Hopkins?
95% of the class are korean/chinese and speak very little English.

Andy, btw, did you talk to the head of financial math at Johns Hopkins?
95% of the class are korean/chinese and speak very little English.

I noticed this too..by looking at the names on the website... seems like you have inside info about JHU.

haha oh man. You put a counter for the ranking. lol

edge of your seat suspense..anticipation... whatever effect Andy was going for.. it is working. Very curious if there are any big surprises this year ... other than the number of ranked schools doubling to 50+

Well then I'll redo my rankings:
0) Minnesota
1) Princeton
2) NYU
3) CMU
4) Stanford
5) Baruch
6) Columbia
7) Berkeley
8) Chicago
9) MIT
10) Cornell
25) Johns Hopkins :D

why is Minnesota at the top of your list? .. curious

edge of your seat suspense..anticipation... whatever effect Andy was going for.. it is working.
Not my intention to cause a great level of anxiety to anyone. It's more about giving people some estimate of when to expect the release so they don't have to stay up late and keep hitting refresh button like mad.

The members who visit our forum will be the first to get notified of the ranking at 9AM EST, followed an hour later by the press release to our newsletter subscribers (a good few thousands people there), and then via Facebook/Twitter so our servers do not get hit by the rush of visitors at the same time. (speaking of which, we already souped up our servers a few months ago in anticipation of this rush of traffic).

My opinion: for students with different background, best programs for them are different.

Top MFE programs for quants:
New York University

Top MFE programs for sales & trading:
University of Califonia, Berkeley
Princeton University
Carnegie Mellon University

Top MFE programs for fresh graduate students:
Princeton University
New York University
Carnegie Mellon University

Top MFE programs for students with experience:
University of Califonia, Berkeley