• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NEW MFE Rankings ???

Hi

It is doubtful that a financial engineer could do an MBA's job. Generally, FE's lack practical corp fin experience (i.e. how cash flows through a company) as well as accounting expertise. I surveyed the class I teach at NYU and less than 10% of them had any accounting experience. This represents a real deficiency on the part of the FE programs.

I think I did not make myself clear in this aspect. What I try to convey is about mathematics stuff. Yes, you may find MBA students with maths degree but it is very rare. Accounting is not hard core. It is easier to learn financial accounting and management accounting rather than stochastic calculus..... that's why I mentioned that not all MBAs can do FE stuff. In addition, programming is not a forte for MBAs.

Sorry, I do not want to open up another debate on MFE vs MBA. My comment is generalisation. Basicaly, MBA stuff is easier to learn.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

I thought it was an old program. The IAFE website and the QuantNet Program Selector show 2008. QN probably shows 2008 because IAFE does. I cannot find it on their website.

Are you sure its 1998? Was it called something else previously?

Do you rate IIT top 10 program or Baruch should be in Top 10?

I have not finished ranking yet. It will take a while. You will have to wait for that answer.

Hey Joy, hope this project is going well.

A couple of questions, with your choices of variables, how are you going to weigh which is more important. Are they going to be equally weighted? Or would you put more emphasis on variables such as Placement Stats and Location as opposed to age of the program and strength of business school. Any methodology for determining ? (maybe conduct a poll to see the different what students feel is most important among categories and weight it according to the poll?)

Also why are you taking into account strength of business school? For example NYU is in the Math Department, Columbia in IEOR. There are other programs that do joint Business and Math/Engineering but can not take full advantage of the business school career service. I understand that you can take some MBA classes, but on you degree, the business school won't be named on some programs.

Hey Joy, hope this project is going well.

A couple of questions, with your choices of variables, how are you going to weigh which is more important. Are they going to be equally weighted? Or would you put more emphasis on variables such as Placement Stats and Location as opposed to age of the program and strength of business school. Any methodology for determining ? (maybe conduct a poll to see the different what students feel is most important among categories and weight it according to the poll?)

Also why are you taking into account strength of business school? For example NYU is in the Math Department, Columbia in IEOR. There are other programs that do joint Business and Math/Engineering but can not take full advantage of the business school career service. I understand that you can take some MBA classes, but on you degree, the business school won't be named on some programs.

At the moment, I am thinking about how to weigh the variables. I am most probably going to do a regular average and I will also present all the variables rankings individually. That is usually how it is done in research ranking papers. Giving individual variables weightings is an extremely subjective thing, and my own bias my show in it which I do not want at all.

Regarding business school strengths...I am not 100% sure on taking business school of general overall university. At the end of the day it is the strength of the business school that USUALLY attracts the employers. There are exceptions but these are very small.

I most probably will use the Shanghai Rankings of universities across the world, or US News Week Business School rankings. I am still deciding on which one would be ideal for this situation. I am going to discuss it with some professors and see what they have to say.

Unfortunately this is going to take a back seat for now as I have to focus on preparing for my refresher seminars/courses starting in 3 weeks. I will pick it back up when I get some free time.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I did not see UChicago in your list. I know it has a very strong reputation. Any reason?

I know it has a very strong reputation.

How do you know that? Did you attend the program? have you spoken with people currently in the program or alumni? Is this just your opinion?

From the reviews in QN, it seems that program is in some sort of turmoil and the reviewers have not been kind to it.

How do you know that? Did you attend the program? have you spoken with people currently in the program or alumni? Is this just your opinion?

From the reviews in QN, it seems that program is in some sort of turmoil and the reviewers have not been kind to it.

I've spoken to many quants, traders and quant developers who are working in the wall street firms now and received the very (very) good feedback. By the way, they were already in the industry before joining the U Chicago and did it parttime and got the work in quant. Some of them got it within the company and other had changed. I don't see any of them here on QN. The situation of the fresher might be different as per the review on QN.

Update 1

This is the list of universities we have come up with. Let me know if I have missed out on anyone's program. I am trying to keep the list big right now, but I am sure it will get cut a bit possibly. I am trying not to put super new programs. I might make a small study on 1 yr data by the new programs that came up in 2009 like MIT, RPI and UCLA which have placed students in quant positions.

The program has to be a Quant Finance program. It could be called some other program previously, but it should have a strong quant curriculum as an option atleast. It could be Master in Financial Engineering, Master in Mathematical Finance, Master in Financial Mathematics, Master in Finance with Financial Engineering concentration and so on. Also, if it has gone through "name changes" that is fine too. For Example; IIT program was initially in 1990 the Masters in Quant finance and Masters in Financial Markets -Concentration Trading. The two programs went through several changes and then combined into the Masters in Finance program with several concentrations and so on. So if anyone knows of any other programs like this, please tell me so I can add it if it qualifies.

These are the data points for now: We will be emailing in 1.5 weeks the representatives of the universities to attain as much placement data as possible. The rest of the data we have attained online , (Cost,duration,length of program, faculty,internship opportunity, etc)

University of California Berkeley
Carnegie
Baruch
NYU
Boston University
Claremont Graduate
Cornell
USC
University of Toronto
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Universite' Laval
HEC Montreal
University of Michigan
Kent State
North Carolina State
NYU Poly
Purdue
Illinois Institute of Technology
Rutgers MSMF
Stanford
Stevens Institue of Tech
Fordham
Depaul university
University of dayton
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
University of Chicago

Can some student of the universities, or anyone, tell me when the University of Chicago, Fordham and NYU programs were started?

:Columbia Added.
USC is there for MFE or MMF?

Back