• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Guess the new 2011 MFE rankings!!

lol. You cannot find some students' resumes is basically because they have already taken their full-time job offer. You can every time assume students from other programs cannot get jobs. In this way it's not hard to prove Baruch is top three.

Your number about NYU placement is simply not correct. Also I'd like to tell you "good in quant" is not equivalent to lack knowledge in other fields. I beg your logic.

Also I'd like to tell you "good in quant" is not equivalent to lack knowledge in other fields. I beg your logic.

Did you even read what I said? I said in comparison to the students at Princeton and UCB. Just go through the course structure and the profiles of the students on those two programs. In fact, also go through the program requirements, which clearly state that some knowledge of finance is required. No such thing exists about NYU's program.
You cannot find some students' resumes is basically because they have already taken their full-time job offer.

The names of many students on that resume book are NOT clickable. So how can you assume that they got jobs? The funny part is none of profiles of class of 2012 is clickable, so can I assume that each of them got jobs 1 year before graduating!

Another shortcoming of the program - lack of transparency. It does not state much about placements, and come of think of it, it mentions focus on placements as its strong points.

Your number about NYU placement is simply not correct.

Are you sure? I found the link to substantiate my claims.

http://math.nyu.edu/financial_mathematics/content/05_prospectiveStudents/03.html

For the last few years, the track record of graduates of the full-time program has been excellent with our graduates obtaining good quantitative jobs with top firms primarily in the New York financial industry. Over 85% of our January graduates accepted full time positions within three months of graduation. Examples of employers and types of jobs found by graduates can be found here. Moreover, hiring is taking place earlier in the year. Most students had job offers by graduation.

1. I admit NYU is lack of transparency... But the truth is they want to do great and keep it low, that's the culture of Courant. That's where Courant's reputation comes from. Maybe students from some other programs can never understand. If you advertising too much, just show a lack of your confidence about your program.

2. Over 85% accepted, but almost all had job offers. NYU students are picky in selecting jobs, not just accepting their only offer. As you may know, most students in NYU has no experience before they join. But pretty sure for every year, there are students can make 200k+ right after graduation. And we have many top companies top positions (not just a Morgan Stanley risk analyst via recommendaton through Baruch's professor). I looked at Baruch's record. It seems just not even comparable.

3. Your argument about incoming students (haven't updated their resume) is just a joke.

I'll not reply to this thread any more. I don't wanna waste my time in such a joke.

I admit NYU is lack of transparency... But the truth is they want to do great and keep it low, that's the culture of Courant. That's where Courant's reputation comes from. Maybe students from some other programs can never understand. If you advertising too much, just show a lack of your confidence about your program.

I ask you one question. Do you pay $100k for reputation or for placements? Perhaps you should read the thread about NYU student having $100k in student loans. Putting placement stats on your website != advertising. In fact, not putting placements stats == spreading misinformation. What's funny is that NYU's website actually brags about its placements on its website, but provides little to no stats.

Over 85% accepted, but almost all had job offers. NYU students are picky in selecting jobs, not just accepting their only offer. As you may know, most students in NYU has no experience before they join. But pretty sure for every year, there are students can make 200k+right after graduation.

It's funny that you say that statements are joke with substantiating your own statements. These are but excuses for placements that are NOT as good as those of Baruch/Princeton/UCB. On the contrary, even if what you said were true, it means that the placement department couldn't provide the jobs what the candidates were seeking - another downside.

Nowhere, I repeat nowhere on the website it is written that students got $200k and that too straight out of school, and all got job offers ( class of 2010). These are your own statements, with no facts to back them. Also, there is no point is giving lame excuse that so many students in NYU's program are fresh out of school. This statement applies even more to Baruch.

Your argument about incoming students (haven't updated their resume) is just a joke.

Once again, provide hard facts to back your statements. I cannot find any info on the students (including the updated resume): Benjamin Altman, Karun Aulakh, Nirav Bansal to name a few.

I ask you one question. Do you pay $100k for reputation or for placements?

Reputation -> Placement most of the time ;)
Plus go to Europe or Asia and tell them you went to Baruch and got a FE degree...Someone will go and tell them he got his masters degree in Mathematics in Finance from NYU. ..chances are he would make a better first expression.

Reputation -> Placement most of the time ;)
As I stated, this clearly isn't the case in NYU vs Baruch. Why even go to NYU. Go to MIT or Stanford then. I doubt that NYU can match their reputation anywhere.

Plus go to Europe or Asia and tell them you went to Baruch and got a FE degree...Someone will go and tell them he got his masters degree in Mathematics in Finance from NYU. ..chances are he would make a better first expression.

How about studying at Baruch at dirt cheap rate, work in NYC, pay-off you relatively small student debt, and go to Asia/Europe and show that you actually know how to do that stuff.

Regarding Europe, I doubt they'll give you any preference to a NYU guy. As a matter of fact, Europeans, particularly continental, are NOT brand hungry like Asians or Americans. If you mean UK, they already have lots of kids with finance degrees from top programs such as LSE's, Oxford's, or Warwick's.

As I stated, this clearly isn't the case in NYU vs Baruch. Why even go to NYU. Go to MIT or Stanford then. I doubt that NYU can match their reputation anywhere.

How about studying at Baruch at dirt cheap rate, work in NYC, pay-off you relatively small student debt, and go to Asia/Europe and show that you actually know how to do that stuff.

Regarding Europe, I doubt they'll give you any preference to a NYU guy. As a matter of fact, Europeans, particularly continental, are NOT brand hungry like Asians or Americans. If you mean UK, they already have lots of kids with finance degrees from top programs such as LSE's, Oxford's, or Warwick's.

But you know placement it is not only equal to finding a job ;) It is about the job itself, the position, the company, the prospects to grow in that particular company. And as everyone here says the most important thing is networking...and guess who has a bigger network. There are many other things I may mention but really do not want to go into this.
And btw I never said anything about NYU being more expensive than Baruch so you pointing out this loan thing makes no sense. You might want to go to NYU because the program at MIT is still new and not established and the one at Stanford ... from my personal experience and from what I hear - dying.
PS I am European and believe me more or less everyone is looking for a respected brand on your resume in one way or another (internship, previous position, school etc etc)

Cheers ;)

Back