• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How do you handle a rejection ?

OK, i'm one of those persons who gets very depressed by a rejection letter, i'm applying to most of the top financial engineering programs and already shivering at the thought of a rejection. You know that heart sinking feeling like everything's over ? Just wanted to know how some of you handle that stress.

Worrying about things out of your control is a waste of imagination.

I just never got that worked up over rejection letters and I'm glad I didn't worry about the prospect of rejection when I wrote my statements of purpose. If I had, I would have definitely watered my statement down and taken less risks with it.

Or you could ask any salesman you know or meet how they handle it. The canned response is that rejection is just part of the process - that if everybody said yes there's no need for a sales force and that it's their job to turn that "no" into a "yes". The second part of the canned response is that rejection gives you useful information if you know how to work it properly - maybe it was your pitch, maybe it was the product, but whatever the case you have something work on.

I don't think its anything to get worked up about. Application process to an American university is very subjective. It would be one thing if there was an entrance exam and the top x% get in, but that is not the case. You could have all the credentials and skills in the world, yet you can still be rejected and you may never know why. As Yike says, its out of your control, and up to the admission team.

It would be best to just think it wasn't meant to be and move on and rather cherish the acceptance letters that you get.

I would suggest some sort of involved physical activity (for example I play soccer). It gets your mind temporarily off of whatever is weighing down on it, and increases the levels of endorphins (read: "happy" hormones).

I would suggest some sort of involved physical activity (for example I play soccer). It gets your mind temporarily off of whatever is weighing down on it, and increases the levels of endorphins (read: "happy" hormones).

I would suggest gym

OK, i'm one of those persons who gets very depressed by a rejection letter, i'm applying to most of the top financial engineering programs and already shivering at the thought of a rejection. You know that heart sinking feeling like everything's over ? Just wanted to know how some of you handle that stress.

imagine you lose a lot of money on a trade, or you really screw up at work. If you have the same sinking feeling, get really nervous and stressed out, I would re-evaluate the choice of career.

You should learn how to deal with all that before getting into the lion's den.

Yeah, if you have trouble dealing with rejection from a university hen you are half-expecting the rejection, how are you going to deal with the situation when HR walks to your desk and informs you that you no longer have a job. This happens all the time on Wall Street.

alain is exactly right

Jobs in the investment banking industry come with a lot of pressure, and you will get many demands and few kudos. People tend to be competitive type-A personalities and thrive in this environment. They are also self assured and don't need other people to tell them when they are doing well or not.

alain is right

...but it's not without its rewards, both financial and otherwise. You work with smart people in a fast-paced environment. If you're really interested in finance (and I see many who are only attracted by the $), it can be a lot of fun.

BTW, the rewards make the job totally worthy.

... and I consider the adrenaline rush one of those rewards.

The financial market is stressful in general...

if you can't deal with such a minor thing, how will you handle the pressure in the stressful jobs you will be doing ?

You get rejected ? apply for many schools....
Every school rejects you ? I guess your application is not as strong as the schools expect.

I'll be applying in 3 months, but rejection is the last thing I'm thinking of...

And as suggested, physical activity.
I visit the gym at least 3 times a week and play soccer a couple of times a month. It definitely helps you relax...

Something I've heard once:

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible

Back