• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How many programmers are on Quantnet?

I wonder how many of this community are programmers. State your programming experiences and what type of programmers you are...which languages you use most and what job you apply them to...

Please don't let this discussion go ahead of topic and turn into argument (...on which language is better, faster, etc). Just let this thread be a collection of information about the programmer members.

Ok:

Job: Software Engineer

Languages used at work (in the broad sense of the word): PHP, MySQL, HTML, JavaScript, XML, XSLT, CSS, Perl, some C# (an area I am new to) and Java.

Other tech/roles: Linux Admin, PBX support.

Software Developer Analyst

VB.NET, some VBA, some SQL Analysis services and moderate amount of SQL programming.

Currently in a 3 years internship at Generali as a software developer and analyst.

Using JAVA (Hibernate, Struts, Spring), SQL, Javascript, XML and Python.

Plus : Some skills in C/C++ (have developped a chess game and a chess AI in C++)

In a previous life, I was a pure analyst/coder. Now, I've made the transition out into more quant finance, but obviously that still involves a lot programming. But my terrible secret is that I've been smacked around at various times by the following:

Java, ASP Jscript, Javascript, MSSQL, MySQL, Oracle, VBA, C#.Net, C++, Matlab, PHP, and even some Director/Flash-script way back before I knew better....

I wonder how many of this community are programmers. State your programming experiences and what type of programmers you are...which languages you use most and what job you apply them to...

15+ years as app / db developer
DB's: Oracle, MSSQL, Sybase, MySQL (even some MS Access but please don't tell)
Languages: C++, Java, C#, F#, Haskell, Erlang,VB (before .NET), VBA, Python, Perl and of course SQL dialects; PL/SQL, T-SQL

Niels

I use whatever works best. I've worked with probably a half-dozen or more different languages in enough detail to convince someone to give me a mid-level position, and another half dozen or more that I've used for some purpose or other over the years. At some point you just stop being afraid to jump into new things. The underlying logical thought process in creating well structured and functioning code really doesn't change THAT much from one language to the next.

... The underlying logical thought process in creating well structured and functioning code really doesn't change THAT much from one language to the next.
IMHO, this is not really true for all the languages but it does work for family of languages.

C#, HTML, SQL, C++, (not C :( - I hope only yet)

VBA(intermediate),

and MATLAB but not using it currently.

Job:Headhunter
Debugged Operating system code for IBM and Microsoft as well as part of Excel.
Worked on porting first Intel Unix at Nortel
C developer since 1982, C++ since about 1990
Basic programmer since 1973
SQL Since 1987
Written VBA from the British Treasury, and Python under perversely awkward conditions.
I think I'm the first person who ever got paid to write a VB program, wrote PC Magazine dev column on that subject for a while
At various points I've programmed in REXX, Lisp, Matlab, Mathematica, F#, C#, Prolog, MIC, Javascript, Java, CUDA, ASM, and various shells and scripting languages. Do you count M4 and HTML as programming ?

Do you count M4 and HTML as programming ?

Knowing them is certainly an asset for a programmer. HTML is not much like standard programming so you can separate it's ok.

Keep posting please. It is interesting reviewing each others' experiences and diversity of languages,usage,etc.

C, C++, C++.net, CUDA, VB, VB Script, VB.net, C# (v1-4), J#, Java, Java Script, SQL, T-SQL, PL-SQL, XQuery, XPath, XML, XSLT, HTML, XHTML, DHTML, CSS. MS .net Framework (v1-4.0) including ASP, ASP.NET; J2EE, J2SE with JSP, PHP. RDBMS: SQL Server 7.0/2k/2k5/2k8, Oracle 9i/10g/11g, MySql, Access. OS: Microsoft Windows, Linux-Ubuntu, Free BSD. Image Pro Plus, Reuters, Bloomberg Software. Development Tools: Visual Studio 6, 2002/2003/2005/2008/2010, IntelliJ IDEA, Business Intelligent Studio, Enterprise Architect. Reporting Technologies: Microsoft Reporting Services 2005/2008, Data Dynamics Active reports, Crystal Reports 10-12. Testing Tools: Win Runner, Load Runner, Silk Test, Microsoft Application Center Test and manual testing

XP: 10+ years

C, C++, C++.net, CUDA, VB, VB Script, VB.net, C# (v1-4), J#, Java, Java Script, SQL, T-SQL, PL-SQL, XQuery, XPath, XML, XSLT, HTML, XHTML, DHTML, CSS. MS .net Framework (v1-4.0) including ASP, ASP.NET; J2EE, J2SE with JSP, PHP. RDBMS: SQL Server 7.0/2k/2k5/2k8, Oracle 9i/10g/11g, MySql, Access. OS: Microsoft Windows, Linux-Ubuntu, Free BSD. Image Pro Plus, Reuters, Bloomberg Software. Development Tools: Visual Studio 6, 2002/2003/2005/2008/2010, IntelliJ IDEA, Business Intelligent Studio, Enterprise Architect. Reporting Technologies: Microsoft Reporting Services 2005/2008, Data Dynamics Active reports, Crystal Reports 10-12. Testing Tools: Win Runner, Load Runner, Silk Test, Microsoft Application Center Test and manual testing

XP: 10+ years

Woow anything left? Can I ask how old are you?

6 years of working experience, 3 years of kernel development in C, Assembly and Bash Shell, 3 years of GUI application development in C++, Python, SQL, gtk+.

- Kernel/driver: Linux VFS, Linux device driver, USB drivers for Linux and Solaris, AIX kernel extension, Parallel file system for Heterogeneous cluster Linux/Windows/AIX/Solaris
- Desktop Application on Linux: gtk+ framework and GNOME Evolution, Mozilla Firefox, CDE.
- Network: Libpcap/Libnet (user-level package capture/send), multi-threading TCP/IP protocol processing under Linux kernel 2.4.

Back