• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to change career path to quant if I am Physics PhD?... Help!

Hello; I just would like to know what is happening when I send resumes for Entry Level Quant...this is because I seem to have all the requirements the job posters are asking: experience programming in C, C++, and FORTAN 77 in my case on physical systems using Monte Carlo methods, a good background in Mathematical modeling and probability theory, etc. I don't have work experience in this area, but I have been able to reproduce, on my own, articles and peer reviewed papers on Stochastic Volatility Models, solving stochastic differential equations, time series statistical analysis; all this for daily average returns, etc. Now I am interested in High Frequency time series and ACD models, etc.....

I think this background satisfies what the job posters are asking from an Entry Level Position...However I haven't got an interview. Could it be that the only problem is that I don't have a British or US Citizenship?...I will appreciate if someone can help me to understand what is missing or what I am doing wrong...Thanks

I doubt that people can comment on incomplete data.
There are many PhD's looking for jobs now, having the diploma is not enough. Also, to be direct, work visa matters a lot for big banks. They are under close scrutiny in this area.

Furthermore, without knowing much, I could guess that you are missing networking and "proved" quantitative experience. First one is very important especially for niche positions. Second one can be a degree in quant finance or some relevant work experience.

where are you sending the resumes? Why don't you work with a recruiter? That's your best bet.

Well, I have been searching for quant jobs on the net. And I look at Entry Level jobs...where prior experience is not requested. One I just applied for was with Global Quant Recruitment a few days ago... I guess this is what you meen by a recruiter. We'll see what happens, but I have sent resumes before and haven't been succesfull.

What else can I do? I live in Mexico, and I have only met one person that knows this kind of profession exists. Thanks for the tip.

Bah GQR isn't amazing IMO. They're highly impersonal.

Here's my suggestion--go on LinkedIn, join a few groups, and in the job boards on those groups, post a job for recruiters, and list your credentials.

I'm not sure if this is disingenuous or not, but placing a candidate with firms is a job for recruiters, so just as recruiters can place jobs for candidates, I'd guess that candidates can place jobs for recruiters.

Back