How to Get a Quant Job, Advice from Wall Street Executives

euroazn

To be honest, RBS and UBS <<< MS and GS :P

also, why did you randomly necrobump a thread with another one of your random ANY TIPS FOR INTERVIEWS questions? Shouldn't you be making a new thread on this or something...

Anyway, depending on your role... is this position monitoring, reporting, model review, policy?

Andy D.

I literally 3 hours ago sent an email to a recruiter about a job that I was technically not qualified for, but absolutely a good fit. You cannot be passive in this job market.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. It's like playing the lottery, if you don't buy a ticket you don't have the chance of winning.

goldski

To be honest, RBS and UBS <<< MS and GS :P

also, why did you randomly necrobump a thread with another one of your random ANY TIPS FOR INTERVIEWS questions? Shouldn't you be making a new thread on this or something...

Anyway, depending on your role... is this position monitoring, reporting, model review, policy?
market risk - trading.

DominiConnor

Quant Headhunter
I find that with respect I am forced to disagree, with ThinkDifferent about RBS being a mess. A mess implies a disordered state, which implies a static stable situation brought about by forces of entropy.

RBS ain't that.
But I'm not sure exactly what it is, since nothing that I understand explains to me why it didn't blow up this morning, or Friday, or any given day in the last 6 months.
A mess is stable, a word I cannot apply to RBS. I hear things about risk management that I don't believe. They do have first rank people there, like Rebanato, but that's not enough, or may be, since I can't explain why it still functions.

goldski

I find that with respect I am forced to disagree, with ThinkDifferent about RBS being a mess. A mess implies a disordered state, which implies a static stable situation brought about by forces of entropy.

RBS ain't that.
But I'm not sure exactly what it is, since nothing that I understand explains to me why it didn't blow up this morning, or Friday, or any given day in the last 6 months.
A mess is stable, a word I cannot apply to RBS. I hear things about risk management that I don't believe. They do have first rank people there, like Rebanato, but that's not enough, or may be, since I can't explain why it still functions.
I did not understand your comment about their Risk Management. So it's so bad that you don't believe it or that the things they are doing are so good that you don't believe it considering it is RBS?

Great insights. Thanks. I notice that one of the executive's company creates quant strategies and sells them to an instititional player. Do they sell the intellectual property or are they managing money for these institutions? I am interested in how to go about selling a black box strategy that I have developed.

Thanks for the extremely helpful post. Since it is always mentioned that soft skills, explanatory power, breaking things into simpler and intuitive aspect is more important than being a hardcore programmer. Soft skills for non-citizen is GMAT score, TOEFL, teaching experience, conference presentations?

Would a banker prefer someone (entry level) who was in backend programming - support vs someone who was in teaching + acad research finance, publishing research in top finance journals and aware about new theories of finance. How good is teaching and research at university useful vs supporting back end outsourced work?

If one has an option to work as RA/TA at a university vs working in Outsourced unit (top bank) which one should he/she choose?

ExSan

JP:
""I hope this helped with any questions any readers had. Feel free to put questions below here and maybe I will do a Part 2 if there is enough demand. It will take a while as I do not want to pester all these busy people with questions."
Yes, I am interested in Part 2