• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Hull's book

After reading Shreve vol 2, Baxter and Rennie, and Joshi's books, is it worth getting Hull's book for the purpose of getting a job?

Love it or loath it, everyone seems to have read it...

If you've understood Shreve vol2, Hull will give you absolutely nothing. It's a reaklly bad book for learning, only good for a QUICK overview. Spend your time more wisely!

After reading Shreve vol 2, Baxter and Rennie, and Joshi's books, is it worth getting Hull's book for the purpose of getting a job?

Love it or loath it, everyone seems to have read it...

"Seems." It's not necessary to have read a book to comment on it. Instead of dishing out $180 for this outworn book, might I recommend instead:

How to Talk About Books You Haven't Read, by Pierre Bayard. It's vastly more readable than the telephone directory Hull has authored. The author is, amazingly, a prof of literature, who claims that he often doesn't read the texts he assigns to his classes; indeed, he claims he doesn't like reading.

that's hilarious coming from a literature professor.

I'm going to be taking a look at Hull's book today, I found a place that has it. Thanks for the suggestions.

You can buy on ebay international version of this book about 6 times cheaper than US version.

Hull's copyright income will be dramatically decreased if you keep advertising the "International Version" :)

Hull's book systematically introduces the derivative products and the very classical/basic ideas of pricing models. After Shreve and Baxter, I think Hull's is a good one for a general idea of products----and if you don't work in the financial industry and want a flavor of it, it's a good one for preparation of interviews, especially you can do the exercises for each chapter.

Back