• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Internships

Hello Neohio... I got your message but figured I would post here. There are many ways to find out about internships. The best option is to go to a university that has a good placement system. Incase this is not the situation...here are some tips..

The first way is probably going to the companies website. To know which which firms are financial firms, there is a list here on Quantnet that you can use. Go there and just apply to as many as possible. You apply to like a 100 and maybe one will hit. That's probably the first way.

The second is through word of mouth. Many firms don't advertise positions, or they usually do when they can absolutely find nobody. There is always talk of people leaving, and requirement for interns, etc. The best time for internships is usually right after when bonus's are given out since many people who are unhappy quit, and there are immediate openings that need to be filled by interns since it can take a while to get a full-time person. These usually get filled by friends or aquaintances of the people in the department.

Person 1 "oh we just lost one of the guys on the cds desk. He has gone off to MS. Let me know if you know anyone...I don't want to pay a recruiter." ... "
Person 2 "Oh yeah... i know this guy in an MFE program here in the city. He can come do some of the small work so that some of the load is off you guys.. I will tell him to send his resume to you" ... or "yeah there is this guy in my class...i will send you his resume...he is pretty smart and well spoken"

The above happens a lot. Now if you are the guy who can be referred by Person 2 than you're golden. Those are almost always a sure thing especially for internships. This happens more in the full-time circuit, but it also happens in ad-hoc internship positions. Now how do you meet person number 2? Network network network...conferences...meet-ups...alumni...linkedIN.

Ask around in your network... "Hey i am applying for some internships...let me know if you hear anything...Not looking for anything crazy, just somewhere that I can learn some things.."

Here is everything in detail... http://www.quantnet.com/how-to-get-your-dream-quant-internship/

I will make a part 2 soon on how to survive in your internship and score the full-time offer.

I am also working on a mini-book/pamphlet kind of thing about all of this. Something much more streamlined.

could someone link me to the list of financial firms. i searched on quantnet, but couldn't find it. thanks in advance. and especially thanks to you joy

Back