• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

interview follow-up question

Is it a good idea to follow up with an email to interviewer, even though I was not given a business card? I was given a card by the HR manager and the pattern of email address convention is clear, and since i know first and last name of people who interviewed me hence my question.

Anyone can comment?

thank you for posts, i had a similar feeling, just wanted to know opinions of others.

on the other note, how would you find out what went wrong, or why they did not choose you? some companies are so reluctant to even send a short email saying something like thank you but we chose someone else. especially when you had full interview cycle with them, starting from the phone screen and ending with two or three in-person interviews. this way i thought, i could inquire and get myself better prepared if the next opportunity comes along. it's quite difficult to analyze and figure out the reason on your own.

I don't think it does any harm, yes it may make them feel "weird" if they don't ask you back, but frankly that does not matter to you.

As Ken says, most times it will make zero difference, but I will share that candidates do get forgotten about, especially if you apply directly. Remember that although this is critical to you, the managers have other things contending for their time, so a polite, short note, thanking for their time, etc might jog their memory.

Back