• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Princeton MFin Interview Tips for Princeton MFin

Interviews are an arbitrary thing to begin with since every candidates application is different. Depending on what you've stated in your SOP / shown in your resume & application, the committee probably has different things they want to get out of each candidate before providing admission. I guess it also helps that the program is so selective / small, I'm guessing if the program was much larger they would have to standardize the process like some of the MBA programs do (i.e. Wharton or even MIT's MFIN)

Could you share a bit about your background?
Yeah, dual BS in applied math and industrial engineering from university of illinois. A master from Harvard. 3.6-3.7 GPA in both schools. 2yrs experience in Microsoft and 2 yrs experience in a top hedge fund, both role are software engineering though. V162 + Q170 + AWA 3.5 GRE. No research experience or anything. I position myself as strong candidate but nothing super star at all.

To the best of my knowledge, no. But I never actually had one so take that with a huge spoonful of salt.
The Email said the alumni interview is a "brief" one. So I doubt if it will be a technical one. Anyway, there nothing too much we can tell until the decision day. So I'd rather just do what I got to do and hope for the best.

Yeah, dual BS in applied math and industrial engineering from university of illinois. A master from Harvard. 3.6-3.7 GPA in both schools. 2yrs experience in Microsoft and 2 yrs experience in a top hedge fund, both role are software engineering though. V162 + Q170 + AWA 3.5 GRE. No research experience or anything. I position myself as strong candidate but nothing super star at all.
Lmao your trolling at this point. You are a superb candidate. You work at very good companies, your probably one of the top candidates.

I also received one invitation 24 hours after my initial interview. The email stresses that the alumni interview is brief and not guaranteed.
Yeah, I think the process maybe different from previous years and the second round is more like "we want to know a bit more about you". Good luck to everyone :)

What is the first interview like? More like just behavioral or CV discussion?

Is it guaranteed that the decisions will come out March 15? Could they come out in batches/rolling or is it standardized?

Is it guaranteed that the decisions will come out March 15? Could they come out in batches/rolling or is it standardized?
I don't know where you got March 15 from, but they've typically come out before then (like first week of march/last week of February)

3.8+ CGPA, 4.0 major GPA. Worked at OTPP for 16 months in risk with traders, doing a thesis in reinforcement learning. From a top Canadian university studying financial engineering.
wow very interesting profile - really different from the previous profiles posted

Back