• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is studying VBA worth it?

I know that VBA and Excel are still used a lot in finance, especially for reporting purpose (like risk reports).

I was just wondering if learning VBA and studying it hard is worth it?

Will VBA continue to be used in finance or replaced by some other "better" and "faster" languages?

I will probably start a quant internship this summer and it looks like they use VBA a lot.

I suppose VBA will remain but ...

These days more and more quants are using C#. I would make sure you still know some VBA.

Also this

Excel-DNA

VBA will exist IMO for as long as Excel will...quite a while. It is outclasses by Python (amongst others) as a scripting language and will never be used in the industry for true quant work.

However; it is built into Excel which will not go away and most firms simply use VBA for report automation, visualization, and pulling data from the firms data warehouse via SQL. Not the sexiest work, but most teams in finance need to do reporting and would love to see it on a resume.

Is there any specific online course you would recommend to learn VBA for financial applications?
I don't of any. Since you know C++, a VBA course is too simple for you, so plan B

book on VBA syntax
Jackson and Staunton on VBA for finance (Wiley)

A site with VBA code for quants

and Haug's book

I think you can pick up VBA pretty quickly.

A useful book is Bovey et al "Professional Excel Development"

Last edited:
I don't of any.

I'm sad Dan. Now we definitely have to meet in person.

Sergibarz, definitely check out ScriptUni.com. The VBA course covers basic financial instruments, risk models, and more.

Good luck!

I don't of any. Since you know C++, a VBA course is too simple for you, so plan B

book on VBA syntax
Jackson and Staunton on VBA for finance (Wiley)

A site with VBA code for quants

and Haug's book

I think you can pick up VBA pretty quickly.

A useful book is Bovey et al "Professional Excel Development"
Thanks a lot for your reply, Professor Duffy, it will definitely be so useful for me!

I'm sad Dan. Now we definitely have to meet in person.

Sergibarz, definitely check out ScriptUni.com. The VBA course covers basic financial instruments, risk models, and more.

Good luck!
Great! It would be nice.

I don't get out so much these days.

Back