• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Job impact beyond quants

I know there are a few threads related to the job issue already, so I apologize if this has been talked about already.

Is it the opinion of the board that the number of quant roles will be impacted/reduced more significantly than other typical investment banking/finance positions. For instance wealth management, investment banking, will/have these been impacted in the same way, better, worse?

Do you think this consolidation and the associated lack of jobs will be permanent? Will things ever go back? Would you still recommend doing an mfe program at this point for someone who hasnt entered one yet? Thanks.

Somewhere I posted an article from Wharton that held that demand for quants would increase.

As long as there is data, there will be a need for quantitative skills. As long as there is uncertainty, there will be a need for quantitative skills. The demand picture that has driven the market for the past 10 years will certainly change, but the discipline is here to stay, in my opinion.

Probably Dominic can give some more specific and relevant insight.

Back