• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Wish list for QuantNet 2023 and beyond

When I started QuantNet in 2006, I never envisioned that QuantNet will grow into a global hub for students inspired for a career in quantitive finance. I heard it from many program's directors and administrators that as many as 90% of their incoming students did their program research on QuantNet. Some commented that we are a "admissions decisions powerhouse".
However satisfying to hear, it's a collaborative efforts by every single member of this community who signed up, asked and answered questions on our forum, shared their admission timelines on the Tracker, wrote a program review, and partook our online courses.
We have many activities for the first time this year, such as Q/A with programs (UCLA MFE, NYU Courant, NYU Tandon, UCB MFE), AMA (Ask Me Anything) with many practitioners (quant C++ dev, derivatives pricing quant, buy-side quant researcher). More to come from this front.
We have a wave of new active members who can energize and make QuantNet better. I already got plenty of idea and feedback from @MikeLawrence and @marcusaurelius. We hope together we can make QuantNet an even better resource for inspiring quants.

Here is us reaching out to all members for suggestions of what you like to see on QuantNet for the future. What we can provide that makes your decision on programs, careers better.

Let's hear it.

Last edited:
I'd really like to see UK/EU institutions included in rankings.
Same here. I think it's time. We will get it done at some point. I would need help from many members like you who familiar with UK/EU programs to point us to those worth rankings. Reach out to me if you can help us in that regards.
Compiling company level compensation data (anonymous). Blind & others have this covered but would be nice to have just for quant and compare offers and backgrounds.
What would you suggest about getting these data points?

What would you suggest about getting these data points?

In the rankings you show the average starting salary per program, it would be nice to get more granular and show specific firms/job titles and the distribution of salaries.

Continually tracking post graduate salaries would be powerful. Most MBA programs show average 3 years out salaries.

I imagine something like an annual survey where you can post years of experience, what program/background you had, company / title and total comp numbers. And you would have to contribute to see the results.

Although typing that out I think people would be uncomfortable sharing their program + company/title since you could probably pretty easily back into who it is. Not that it really matters but still. Maybe its just like T5 quant program, Citadel Data Engineer, 3 YOE, xxx TC.

Just spamming ideas because i'm at work.

Wishlist- more events (AMA or zoom meeting) to hear from successful QuantNet "Alumni" (I am sure there are many). I find these extremely helpful.
Perhaps Andy you could actively reach out to or simply throw a sign-up sheet for those former QuantNet Alumni who are willing to share.
I truly wish this place to become a paying-forward place. This is literaterall my (and probably many others') first stop in the long journey to come. If years later I become successful, I would love to share my journey with the next wave of new folks.

In the rankings you show the average starting salary per program, it would be nice to get more granular and show specific firms/job titles and the distribution of salaries.

Continually tracking post graduate salaries would be powerful. Most MBA programs show average 3 years out salaries.

I imagine something like an annual survey where you can post years of experience, what program/background you had, company / title and total comp numbers. And you would have to contribute to see the results.

Although typing that out I think people would be uncomfortable sharing their program + company/title since you could probably pretty easily back into who it is. Not that it really matters but still. Maybe its just like T5 quant program, Citadel Data Engineer, 3 YOE, xxx TC.

Just spamming ideas because i'm at work.
I honestly don't know if the rankings are the best place for this. The rankings are pretty good for what they are, many of the programs on the rankings have this data up already. I think it is better to have the rankings as they are, and then just let us go to the programs for the more granular data. It really isn't hard to find, but if it is really requested then maybe a link to those pages could be set up, but that is a lot of work if links change or something else happens.

For example: Baruch's 5 year annual reports have EXACTLY the type of stuff you just listed and the response rate is high so there are a decent number of data points.

others are slightly less detailed but still have some breakdown

I honestly don't know if the rankings are the best place for this. The rankings are pretty good for what they are, many of the programs on the rankings have this data up already. I think it is better to have the rankings as they are, and then just let us go to the programs for the more granular data. It really isn't hard to find, but if it is really requested then maybe a link to those pages could be set up, but that is a lot of work if links change or something else happens.

For example: Baruch's 5 year annual reports have EXACTLY the type of stuff you just listed and the response rate is high so there are a decent number of data points.

others are slightly less detailed but still have some breakdown

That is an amazing report, thanks for sharing

For me it would be great if the rankings could be a little bit more detailed. Specifically referring to the different components that make up the final score in each program, it would be great to know how each program ranks in those respective categories.
Well, the only things left out at the moment are the employer survey score, undergraduate GPA, and acceptance rate. The last two are things you can EASILY find, and the third... I don't know. But there's really only one thing, if that helps you any.

That is an amazing report, thanks for sharing
Keep in mind this is the outcome report for what might be the top program in the country (I've seen an interview where Dr. Stefanica said that he would be modest and claim to be the second best 😂), so it isn't representative of the total pool of outcomes.

But if you go to each programs website, I can almost guarantee there is some form of this information out there. Baruch's is the best I have seen, but they are all very helpful.

*edit: Also, don't thank me, thank @dstefan and the Baruch alumni (thanks Dr. Stefanica & alumni). And all the other directors and alumni. And then, once you graduate and get a job, go report your income and other information to your schools so they can help younger students.

Last edited:
Keep in mind this is the outcome report for what might be the top program in the country (I've seen an interview where Dr. Stefanica said that he would be modest and claim to be the second best 😂), so it isn't representative of the total pool of outcomes.

But if you go to each programs website, I can almost guarantee there is some form of this information out there. Baruch's is the best I have seen, but they are all very helpful.

*edit: Also, don't thank me, thank @dstefan and the Baruch alumni (thanks Dr. Stefanica & alumni). And all the other directors and alumni. And then, once you graduate and get a job, go report your income and other information to your schools so they can help younger students.
This is a cycle where successful programs produce happy graduates who got a successful careers and want to give back to their alma mater by providing data, reviews, mentoring, job leads, etc.
On the other hands, there are many programs that can't track where their graduates are, let alone gather enough employment, salary data.
So if you are unable to find relevant data on a program's website, it's very likely indicative of the latter. Programs based on business schools are usually very good at collecting and providing these data.

Of course you can contribute 🧑‍🚀
Ok, true, but right now I have far more questions than answers. I'm honestly not sure how well I could contribute, but I might be assuming the questions would be more complicated than they actually would be. And the entire point of this would be to learn, which I could do plenty of.

I answered like I did because I'm 20 and in undergrad and not much older and retired. I don't have anything mastered, I'm not a teacher yet. Young men prove theorems, old men write books (Polya? I feel like I stole this quote from one of your old posts). I've got more to learn than I have to pass on.

Ok, true, but right now I have far more questions than answers. I'm honestly not sure how well I could contribute, but I might be assuming the questions would be more complicated than they actually would be. And the entire point of this would be to learn, which I could do plenty of.

I answered like I did because I'm 20 and in undergrad and not much older and retired. I don't have anything mastered, I'm not a teacher yet. Young men prove theorems, old men write books (Polya? I feel like I stole this quote from one of your old posts). I've got more to learn than I have to pass on.
Anyone can prove a theorem 😴
How many can solve a pde?

Many programs in different fields (like law school) already have quite intensive data reported. Here is an example

Just imagine the potential. I think what we like to do is to provide as much info as we can gather and display them in the Resources area

Just a general remark; have a directory structure.

Now we get all posts at top level; not everyone in interested in everthing but we see everything. (for me, GRE stuff is not for me).

Many programs in different fields (like law school) already have quite intensive data reported. Here is an example

Just imagine the potential. I think what we like to do is to provide as much info as we can gather and display them in the Resources area
Just as a PSA (and perhaps helpful regarding my previous comments), as publicly funded institutions, UK universities recording this information are obligated to disclose it upon request, for example here.

Back