• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Job Outlook For Buyside Software Developers 2022 And Beyond

TL;DR How can I become a front office software dev on the buyside and make oodles of money?

I'm a web developer but I'm looking to break into fintech or finance as a front office developer. My goal is to start at a shop and over the years transition from coder to deal-maker or at least work in a capacity where I get a cut of the pie like bankers, traders and principals do. I know quants get paid a lot but I'm not look to be a quant/MFE grad.

Is this even possible? Please don't reply saying no just because you haven't heard of it. If you don't think it's possible for specific reasons and can back it up, I'm open having to have my dreams crushed by an anonymous buyside MD on the internet. I know people who've gone from no-name "ibanks" to making $500k+ at a bulge bracket just by waiting it out over 10-15 years and collecting niche experience along the way.

My background: 35yr male. Non-target undergrad, Applied Mathematics B.S. I worked in a finance for about 4 years before in operations (Japanese bank) and as client service associate at JPM and UBS where I got my Series 7. My point is I know a little bit about the industry so when replying feel free to use jargon and acronyms. I should understand.

Afterwards I left to get into tech because my job was boring AF. But I want to get back into finance as a dev because I like the culture more than tech and the long term potential for $$$ is greater.

Thank you.

> Is this even possible?
No, it isn't possible.

> feel free to use jargon and acronyms
Blue Horseshoe Loves Anacott Steel.

> Is this even possible?
No, it isn't possible.

> feel free to use jargon and acronyms
Blue Horseshoe Loves Anacott Steel.

Please don't reply saying no just because you haven't heard of it. If you don't think it's possible for specific reasons and can back it up

Do you ever read the instructions before taking a test?

Back