• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Job prospects for MFE

I've seen posts about this but they were all from 2010 and a lot can change in 3 years. Is this article/post something to worry about? https://www.quantnet.com/threads/the-coming-glut-of-financial-engineers.5233/ I only discovered the MFE degree a few days ago while I was discussing things with a friend and it sounds exactly like what I want to do. However, if the job market has substantially diminished and I wouldn't be able to get a job in finance (or at a level suitable to make use of MFE knowledge), I would prefer to go for an MBA which is more broadly applicable, although it is far less interesting. A lot of the posts were referring to internationals having a hard time getting jobs. I'm American and speak English fluently - do these troubles apply to me? Thanks.

If you are an MBA and are: smart, articulate, and energetic, you will get a job.
If you are a JD and are: smart, articulate, and energetic, you will get a job.
If you are an MD and are: smart, articulate, and energetic, you will get a job.
If you are an MFE and are: smart, articulate, and energetic, you will get a job.

If you are dumb, speak broken English, and are lazy and boring, you can be the Queen of England; you won't get a job anywhere.

If you are more excited about what MFE has to offer then go for it. Besides, since that article, MFEs have been entertaining many more positions; specifically in the Risk field (one of the most popular right now). Worry less.

If you are dumb, speak broken English, and are lazy and boring, you can be the Queen of England; you won't get a job anywhere.

i beg to differ... i am sure Queen of England could get a job somewhere if she wanted....

Beg to differ. She could serve on a board someplace, but I'm not sure how employable she is. Can she code in R?

Don't think any member of the House of Windsor is employable. Mostly they function as high-ranking salesmen for Britain's aerospace and armaments industry. Doubt any of them have the brains to code. They do get automatic admission into Oxbridge, though.

Back