• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

King of Pop Michael Jackson has died

I have admired Michael Jackson very much since I was a high school student. May he rest in peace.

hmmm how will michaels death affect the next trading day....

Trading will be down and prices will take a nose-dive. A world-historical figure has passed away. It will take some time for the world to reconcile itself to the loss. Meanwhile here is one of Jackson's better-known songs as backdrop to the final scene from the film, "Undercover Brother."

I appreciate his entertainment talent but I see very little difference between Michael Jackson and any other anonymous child molester. May he rest in peace but I just am not going to forget his pastime activities. I can't believe anyone in their right minds would allow their kids near him but maybe I am just an over protective parent. GUS

I appreciate his entertainment talent ... GUS

Did he have any "talent?" I don't know what the fuss is about: he was on the front page of the New York Times. Entertainers like him, Madonna and Britney Spears are responsible for the downward spiral of American culture.

Did he have any "talent?" I don't know what the fuss is about: he was on the front page of the New York Times. Entertainers like him, Madonna and Britney Spears are responsible for the downward spiral of American culture.

I don't think Britney to Michael Jackson is at all a fair comparison.

Did he have any "talent?"

It's hard to come to consensus what talent is.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
But Michael Jackson had arguably the biggest brand power than anyone. He is globally recognizable and distinctive. Record sales and Emmys can attest the quality of his music. His upbringing and rising coincide with the rising of pop culture and MTV, a background now impossible to replicate. Cable and internet also opens up distribution channels. The brand can be sold alone or bundled with other <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Jacksons</st1:place></st1:City>.
<o:p> </o:p>
A unique strength of the brand is it is an American brand that can sold to local market, but not strongly tied to American nationalism to be hurt by anti-American feeling overseas.
<o:p> </o:p>
Very intriguing to analyze...

Wow, all I have to say is Thriller and Moonwalk. Not many Americans solve PDEs for fun.

But Michael Jackson had arguably the biggest brand power than anyone. He is globally recognizable and distinctive. Record sales and Emmys can attest the quality of his music. His upbringing and rising coincide with the rising of pop culture and MTV, a background now impossible to replicate. Cable and internet also opens up distribution channels. The brand can be sold alone or bundled with other <st1:city><st1:place>Jacksons</st1:place></st1:city>.

I don't know where pop culture begins. Why not take an earlier figure like Elvis Pressley, for example, and say that it began with him? Or a few years later with the Beatles, who were also a global phenomenon? As for record sales being related to "quality," I am lost for words. That means Eminem, Snoop Doggy Dogg and Fifty Cents are also producing "quality." Not to talk of Madonna and Britney Spears.

As is clear from my posts, I loathe the modern entertainment industry and its icons.

I don't know where pop culture begins. Why not take an earlier figure like Elvis Pressley, for example, and say that it began with him? Or a few years later with the Beatles, who were also a global phenomenon? As for record sales being related to "quality," I am lost for words. That means Eminem, Snoop Doggy Dogg and Fifty Cents are also producing "quality." Not to talk of Madonna and Britney Spears.

It could simply be perfect timing, either MTV gave rise to Michael Jackson or the other way around. He emerged as the pop culture of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place><st1:country-region><st1:place>America</st1:place></st1:country-region></st1:place></st1:country-region> in the 80s, a time when American Pop was emulated worldwide. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Short-term record sales could be impulsive buying or fad. Again, you need to look at the longevity of career and other indicators like Grammys.<o:p></o:p>

As is clear from my posts, I loathe the modern entertainment industry and its icons.

You don't have to like it or hate it. It's just a shame the demand for MJ is still very large (and can still grow) but now it cannot be fulfilled or fully monetized.<o:p></o:p>

I have to agree with the bbw... but again, my opinion about music is a little biased.

Even more, i don't recall the same action on QN when Kiyoshi Ito (from Ito's lemma fame) passed away last year.

Apparently, Amazon is trying to make a quick buck off of MJ..they have a huge link on their frontpage to his music cds and such...

Another thing that has puzzled me so much is how someone can make so much money during their career (4 decades), and still have a ton of money troubles, doesn't make much sense. If some guy that makes about $70K/yr can save half of his salary... why can't the super rich like MJ who make upwards of $100 million or more on a good year save half of that in anticipation for the bad times.

Maybe Presidential suites at the Waldorf-Astoria or Chateau Mormont or suave Island vacations are out of my price range, but you can still live the good life and SAVE...right

Apparently, Amazon is trying to make a quick buck off of MJ..they have a huge link on their frontpage to his music cds and such...

I'm not a creature of this age: I don't understand celebrity culture. I don't understand celebrity worship. Here in Norway, all the newspapers have had Jackson on the front page. My friends in Argentina are telling me he's on television to the extent you would think there was an election on and he was running for president. I doubt Pressley got this kind of coverage when he died in 1977(?). Seems the culture industry -- and it is an industry -- has strengthened its global sinews.

Billie Jean is not my lover; she's just a girl who claims that I am the one.

...sorry guys, but I think he's pretty damn awesome. could care less with the adulation going for him; but when someone who makes good music passes away, it's a shame.

Keep in mind that he still has a massive fan base worldwide, evidence by the sell out of 50 London shows.
Think about it. At 50, with whatever tabloid stories and law suits, he still can sell close to 1 million tickets.

I don't know anyone in this generation has still kind of pull. I'm a big fan of his work, his dedication to his career. I could care less about his personal hoopla. The man deserves credit for his phenomenon music career.
It's ironic that right after his death, people run to store to buy all of his CD, records. Twitter site crashed because the spikes in tweet dedicated to MJ.

Rest in peace, Michael. We love you.

Wiki

Wiki Says

"By the end of 1994, the ten year partnership between Jackson and drinks manufacturer Pepsi was dissolved, even though Jackson had grossed the company $500 million in a decade. Jackson's fans then boycotted the company; its stock value fell 20 percent the following year.[25] "

He is surely making money for someone.

Michael Jackson disc sales boost Dutch pension fund

THE HAGUE (AFP) — Broadcasts of Michael Jackson hits and skyrocketing sales of the late pop icon's discs after his death have given a boost to Dutch pension fund ABP, which in 2008 bought the rights to several of his songs.

"The rights are being honoured for all types of use: on radio and television broadcasts, downloads, CD and DVD sales, etc.," Andre Raaff, executive of Imagem Music Group which manages ABP's property rights stock, told AFP.

ABP, the world's third largest pension fund, last year bought a music catalogue from Universal Music Group (UMG) for 120 million euros that includes 14 songs by the US singer, including "Remember the time", "You are not alone" and "In the closet".
"We only invest in hits that will bring in money every year," said Raaff but would not give a figure.

He added however, "We aim for a minimum return of eight percent a year."
After recently buying Boosey & Hawkes and Rodgers & Hammerstein music catalogues, Imagem has laid its hands on some 250,000 works of music from pop to classical music to musicals, worth 500 million euros, said Raaff.

Jackson died in Los Angeles on June 25, as he prepared for a series of comeback concerts in London. A star-studded tribute was organised for the late singer at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Tuesday.

Back