• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Let's talk politics and Wall Street...

Once upon a time Mr. Buffet invested in another broker called Salomon Brothers and it was going south until some guy named Sandy Weill (you might have heard of him) bought it from him (Mr Buffet couldn't wait to get rid of it... so much for buy and hold).

Rumor on the street was that Mr. Weill paid all that money to get a paper with the signature of Warren Buffet.

Well I'm giving Buffet the benefit of the doubt here, in light of Goldman kicking *** for the past couple of decades.

Who is anyone else to question the CEO of Goldman Sachs on matters of money?

Are they honestly *that arrogant* to think they can do better?

A bunch of noisy idiots does not make for better decisions.

Careful, Ilya. Your monarchy is showing.

Goldman Sachs got subprime RIGHT. They SHORTED MBSs and CDOs. It's just that no financial company, all of which run on fractional reserving and massive leverage is safe from a widespread panic.

This is exactly why Goldman should not be receiving any government money. They got it right. They are not in danger of failing. This $700b is supposed to be a bailout for failed companies to keep the economy afloat, not a bonus pool. But hell, what do I know? I'm not the ex-CEO of Goldman Sachs. Perhaps I should mail him my absentee ballot and let him vote for me, too, seeing as how I'm not a member of the landed gentry.

Who says GS is receiving any gov't money?

As for my "monarchy" showing, I'd prefer to say that my "meritocracy" is showing. I believe that the people that actually know what the hell they're doing should be the ones in office, not the celebrity-POWs with rich wives or sweet talkers who may not live up to their promises.

A massive amount of people here in the U.S. are stupid beyond belief. All of those low-class Americans such as Juanita or Lateesha with their 4-8 children and no husband in sight, and/or the farmers in Nowheresville, Kentucky/Iowa/Alabama all think they know what's best for the United States of America, when they can't even understand the terms of their mortgages! (Excuse the blunt political incorrectness)

The worst part about it is that the stupid breed more than the intelligent!

Look, I'm certainly not in favor of a monarchy, but at the same time, I don't believe that government officials elected by imbeciles that don't know what's best for themselves--let alone the country--should have the right to butt into the work of Hank Paulson!

Let's see:

Officials elected by idiots
CEO of GS that left the post to try and improve our country

Night and day. Their opinions add nothing.

Ilya, from that post, I can see that you will have a hard time fitting in GS.

Hill Clashes on Rescue Plan; Dollar Drags Down Markets - washingtonpost.com

I'm focusing on the following parts:

Several lawmakers, including Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), an influential member of the Banking Committee, are pushing for a provision that would require participating firms to grant the government warrants to purchase stock.
Sources familiar with the Treasury's thinking said warrants would limit participation in the program. Only failing banks would be willing to give the government stock in exchange for buying up their bad assets, these sources said. But key Democrats said the point was critical.

and

Another point of dispute is Democrats' insistence that the government be given authority to cut the salaries of executives and restrict their severance packages if they take taxpayer money. Paulson has said such a move would be "punitive" and deter companies from participating in the bailout.

Don't we want to be detering companies from participating? Don't we want to take punitive measures against companies whose poor business practices have led us to take these "unprecedented" measures to shore up the economy? Why would we possibly want to buy bad assets from banks that aren't failing? Paulson and Bernanke are both on the record as wanting to ensure that non-failing banks (for example, and I'm just pulling this one out of a hat at random, Goldman Sachs) get to put their hands into the cookie jar. I, for one, am just as skeptical of their motives as others on this thread are of the motives of politicians.

Hill Clashes on Rescue Plan; Dollar Drags Down Markets - washingtonpost.com

I'm focusing on the following parts:

and

Don't we want to be detering companies from participating? Don't we want to take punitive measures against companies whose poor business practices have led us to take these "unprecedented" measures to shore up the economy? Why would we possibly want to buy bad assets from banks that aren't failing? Paulson and Bernanke are both on the record as wanting to ensure that non-failing banks (for example, and I'm just pulling this one out of a hat at random, Goldman Sachs) get to put their hands into the cookie jar. I, for one, am just as skeptical of their motives as others on this thread are of the motives of politicians.

Do we want to deter companies from participating? I don't think so...

In fact, I believe that the successful firms pay their executives LESS, because I believe that the more successful a firm, the more an executive should be HONORED to run it and do it for the pride, rather than the pay. In all successful institutions, employees take a pay CUT simply in return to be part of a successful institution.

Jim Collins's "Level 5" leader looks at himself in the mirror when something goes wrong and praises his team when good results are achieved. And I believe that firms can only be successful when the top brass isn't in it for themselves, but for the team.

I believe that the execs that are paid more are actually running the POORER companies. After all, who's the lowest paid CEO in the U.S. in terms of hard cash?

Steve Jobs.

What I think is that we should pass the $700B bill NOW, and then afterwards, we can cap the pay of execs with another bill. Frankly, I'm in support of this. If it was up to me, all cash pay would to ANYBODY would be capped at enough not to worry about financial hardships that happen to most people, and the rest would be in stock options.

And if the company is "too big to fail", then the compensation of the executives should be BY LAW set at $1 plus options--which they would not be allowed to exercise until they stand down from their C_O positions. Literally, golden handcuffs. But no golden parachutes. If you take on this much responsibility that you decide the fate of people's lives, you should be the FIRST one in line for punishment when something goes bad.

That way, the only people in power will be those that are in it for the company--not for another yacht.

dude, spare me the rhetoric. I was in worst situation than you and I came out so I know it is possible... but you don't have to repeat it over and over.

again, you need to read history before you say something. Believe me, you are closer to Jimmy Cayne and Stan O'Neal than to Hank Paulson.

Also, the difference between being greedy and corrupt is just semantics. You'll see.

IlyaK,
There is something called "too much personal information". It isn't too difficult for anyone to figure out who you are from all the info you posted here: Russian, born 86, Lehigh undergrad, first name Ilya, so on and on.
One day, these may come back and bite you in the "you know what". This forum is increasingly popular and one day, potential Wall street employers may just run a background check through the posts here and I'm not sure they would want you to represent their company publicly.
Also, you are running dangerously close to being "a post troll". There is a big different between "passionately participating" and "aggressively trolling". You may get banned by the mods here and I wouldn't want to be that dog house.

That said, carry on with Wall Street and politics, gents. They are hand in hand.

Actually, I believe Ilya put his full name out there at one point... I have to second Tigga's remark Ilya.

Ilya,

As a current GS employee, I am sorry but Alain put it perfectly right: With current attitude you would not survive a few days at GS.
There are many core values of GS culture (at least 14), meritocracy is essential however teamwork and credit is more important. I trust people that I work with, I trust them as if I would do the job myself.

Furthermore everyone has different background, your past would not make you better or worse, simply does not matter.

But the most important part, I don't see in your rethoric is "humility". You need to be open to all ideas and learn from everything. First year of work, at least half of initial design ideas are probably wrong. You need to be patient, learn from everyone, get experience.
It does not matter how much you work, if you cannot listen to others ...

A massive amount of people here in the U.S. are stupid beyond belief. All of those low-class Americans such as Juanita or Lateesha with their 4-8 children and no husband in sight, and/or the farmers in Nowheresville, Kentucky/Iowa/Alabama all think they know what's best for the United States of America, when they can't even understand the terms of their mortgages! (Excuse the blunt political incorrectness)

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I'd like to stick up for the farmers here. Even though many of them have not gone to college, virtually all of them hedge with either futures or future options. If you actually drive through farm country you will notice many farm houses have DTN satellites on the roofs. After all, the CBOT existed before hedge funds or IB's. Farmers aren't as asinine as you might think.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I'd like to stick up for the farmers here. Even though many of them have not gone to college, virtually all of them hedge with either futures or future options. If you actually drive through farm country you will notice many farm houses have DTN satellites on the roofs. After all, the CBOT existed before hedge funds or IB's. Farmers aren't as asinine as you might think.

You are correct. And no need to stand up for the farmers: if anyone is stupid enough to think farmers aren't clever, let him wallow in his ignorance. Farming and animal husbandry have become highly technical and highly skilled (i.e., even more than they were previously). Farmers, like other businessmen, have to budget, control costs, look anxiously at market prices, and hedge what risk they can.

I almost hate to reply to this thread. But here goes anyway.

Who is anyone else to question the CEO of Goldman Sachs on matters of money
Me. I remember one day in college a long time ago, I looked over at my roommate's bed. His girlfriend had carved into the paint on the wall "question my motives" while he was not there. That kinda stuck with me and I tend to question the motives and be skeptical of anyone with power. The more power, the more skeptical.

The worst part about it is that the stupid breed more than the intelligent!

Look, I'm certainly not in favor of a monarchy, but at the same time, I don't believe that government officials elected by imbeciles that don't know what's best for themselves--let alone the country--should have the right to butt into the work of Hank Paulson!
This is so un-American I can hardly stand it. "low-class Americans such as Juanita or Lateesha with their 4-8 children and no husband" ?? Language like this... well, it boils my blood. These aren't even the people calling in to congressmen worried about their mortgages. You seem to have singled them out based on some class or race bias against poor urbanites. I'm glad Adam stood up for the farmers, who invented forward markets. But again, it was middle class folks in the suburbs with mortgages, by and large, who were outraged about the 'bailout.'

This country's founding principles are of protection of minority rights--minority religions, classes, education level, smaller states, and (eventually) race and gender. To exclude any group from the political process (by which decisions are made) is unconstitutional and a bit of a moot discussion point. Ilya, I'm not sure you recognize the offense in your diction.

All that aside, I agree with the point you so offensively are trying to make. While this bailout (er, economic rescue plan?) was being debated in the house and many representatives were getting calls and therefore holding up the process, I was saying the same thing. Most people don't understand finance or economics and if you call it a Wall Street Bailout Plan then no one will want to support it. Congressmen up for re-election were in a tight spot on this one and the politicians did not sell the bill well to the people. I would have reluctantly supported the bill but hated myself for it. The time to act was years ago, but as many have pointed out, it's hard for a politician to change something that is making people so much money. I won't go on about this.

I'm not a math wizard; I'm not a financial genius; I'm not an economic expert, or for that matter an expert in anything. But I do pride myself in my diverse interests and ability to look at all sides of a problem, trying to gain a better understanding about the way things are and how they could be (I was not always like this when I was younger and smarter).

Government is not a for-profit business intent on maximizing profits in the most efficient manner. Public finance balances fairness with efficiency. I could go on about this too, but I've already strayed.

Oh, and if you like Hank Paulson so much, why don't you marry him? ;)

=D> Great reply and insight, woody. Ilya, I hope the response to your comments have caused you to think and approach problems from a different perspective.

On a side note - "I remember one day in college a long time ago, I looked over at my roommate's bed. His girlfriend had carved into the paint on the wall "question my motives" while he was not there. That kinda stuck with me and I tend to question the motives and be skeptical of anyone with power. The more power, the more skeptical."

Are there any other guys here that would be terrified of a girl that carved this into your WALL?

Back