• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Listening to music while studying??

When I was in high school I remember there were kids who could listen and study at the same time (although in all fairness the ones who didn't tended to score higher). I was never able to do this (especially with math). Way too distracting.

However, I noticed recently that I can write fairly decent code while listening to music. 90% of the time I'm coding I am actually debugging my code. This requires a completely different type of focus than studying. I find that I debug better when I am more relaxed and not when I am intensely focused!

I've been listening to music for the past hour and I find myself debugging faster than usual - COOL!

Give it a try! ;)

P.S. A little hint: Make a playlist. Listening to a 4 minute song on YouTube and then spending 10 minutes searching for another "classic" is not exactly time efficient...

I have an odd vestige of OCD where I like to listen to a playlist (sometimes just a few songs) on repeat while studying for an exam, then I listen to the exact same playlist right before the exam. Pretty sweet compulsion, wonder if it somehow helps engage different parts of the brain to remember and recall info.

Yeah, I took psychology for 3 years before switching over to math. Your mind actually conditions itself based on your senses. I forget the fancy shmancy terms, but if you study for a test in the same room you take it in you should actually have an easier time remember information. I use to actually carry a lemon scented eraser around in my shirt pocket when I studied and then during the test (it was a psychology experiment). In a weird way it helped a bit...

on repeat
But what your saying sounds more like brainwashing!

Yeah, I took psychology for 3 years before switching over to math. Your mind actually conditions itself based on your senses. I forget the fancy shmancy terms, but if you study for a test in the same room you take it in you should actually have an easier time remember information. I use to actually carry a lemon scented eraser around in my shirt pocket when I studied and then during the test (it was a psychology experiment). In a weird way it helped a bit...

But what your saying sounds more like brainwashing!

We used to call it "The Red Shirt" test condition in Cuba. My friends and I used to wear the same shirt to the tests all the time. Result: a bunch of croc...

We used to call it "The Red Shirt" test condition in Cuba. My friends and I used to wear the same shirt to the tests all the time. Result: a bunch of croc...
lol! Yeah, mathematicians tend to think psychology is garbage. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place - to say such a thing would flush 3 years of my college career down the toilet.

But I still do think that Freud was just plain bonkers.

Hey Guys why cant i create new thread! Everytime i start creating a new conversation it tells me to write the participants name which is limited within 5 members.. How am i suppose to create one??

Hey Guys why cant i create new thread! Everytime i start creating a new conversation it tells me to write the participants name which is limited within 5 members.. How am i suppose to create one??
Conversation is similar to Private Message.
If you like to create a thread, say in the Off Topic forum, just go to that forum (here) and click on Post New Thread button on the top right.
Samething if you want to create a new thread in other forums.

I always listen to music while studying. It may be confusing to some people, but music helps me concentrate on what I do. Especially slow/nice tracks. Viva la musica !

I want to play my spotyfy playlist on iPoD, how to do it? I just get stuck and nothing happens, does anyone knows a simple way to do it?

I still don't get this thread. I was just studying for the stochastic calculus I final with a friend and he listens to RAVE music while studying! Made me cringe.

Back