• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

London based firms to provide career advice

Hi peops. I have now graduated with a masters degree in Applied Math from Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden. Specialized in Quantitative Finance and thesis about derivative pricing with Stochastic Vol models. I want someone to look at my resume, grades etc and tell me what kind of jobs it realistic for me to aim for.

Is there any firm in London that can provide that kind of service? I could for instance get 1-2 hour of consultancy for X GBP.

I have noticed there are so many consultancy agents specifically hiring quants. Maybe some of them do provide the service I am asking for ...

Last edited:
Have you tried reaching out to recruiters? There are good recruiters and bad recruiters, just like anything else. But a good recruiter will give you advice and insight into the job market and what you are suited for. And they will be providing this service without cost to you, hoping to earn a commission if they successfully place you in a position.

Rather than talking with people in London from very different backgrounds, try talking with alumni, and in particular with ones who have worked in London.

From the title of your thesis it sounds like you would be a good fit to do traditional quant work at a bank. Hopefully on your resume you already have intership experience, and indeed you'd probably be looking at going for another intership in London and try to leverage that into a full time position. You can reach out to recruiters, but I don't think they usually place interns, but they may tell you about roles you hadn't previously considered.

Thank you both for valuable inputs. Can you guys suggest som good recruiting firms I can reach out to?

If you find a good London recruiter, let me know too. I'm not having much luck getting them to talk to me. New York recruiters have been more helpful.

Have you information about residency permits etc. etc. for EU citizens?? Only a few years ago a "hostile environment" was official policy. Many EU citizens are leaving UK.

So if the environment is hostile to EU citizens I'm guessing it's even worse for people with other passports (US)?

So if the environment is hostile to EU citizens I'm guessing it's even worse for people with other passports (US)?
I have no idea. I come from the border region between Northern Ireland and the Republic and even there it is not clear.
Basically, Boris and Co.. have no plan. He's playing it as he goes along.
I live in NL and many Brits are applying for Dutch passports.

It's a mess.

Caveat: I am not an expert in the last news.

Last edited:
Thank you both for valuable inputs. Can you guys suggest som good recruiting firms I can reach out to?

Try the direct approach, and message a quant in industry. Ask them if they feel your CV format is correct, or what you should fix. Be sure not to ask for a job. If the person is Associate level, they may have been involved in the hiring process for others in the team/dept, and will at least have 2 things they hate to see, and 2 that they love.

For example they might hate the "alphabet soup" used to list every programming software they've ever seen of heard of.
Another, in my opinion is listing your school at the top of your CV resume, instead of at the bottom. Especially if you've ever worked before, and even more so if you neglect to outline a project or two in the CV. School at the top is akin to "low confidence"/"nothing else to say/show".

Back