• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Low AWA - Should I retake GRE?

Hi, I'm writing from Chile and this is my first post. I'm applying to UCB, MIT, NYU, CMU and Columbia.

I'm a bit worried about my GRE scores: Q:170/V:159/A:3.0, specifically about the AWA, which is quite low. Should I retake the test?

Some background:
- MSc and BSc in Engineering with concentrations in Finance and Maths, respectively
- GPA between 3,7 and 4,0
- TOEFL 109
- 2 years of experience working as quant analyst and trader

Hi mflopeza,

I am in a similar dilemma and will be applying to schools that you have mentioned in your post. I hit a 326 in GRE (Q -168, V-158, AWA -3.0) and I am worried that my AWA score might hamper my chances at top schools.

Some background:
- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering (CGPA -9.0/10)
- Cleared CFA Level 1 (Currently CFA L2 candidate)
- Currently work as an analyst at a bulge bank (work in sell side and have total work experience of around 2.0 years. My work does not involve quantitative concepts, more of corporate finance topics)

It would be great if you could share your thoughts about my current predicament. I am extremely worried because I am running out of time and do not think I have sufficient time for a second GRE attempt.

Thanks in advance!

Hi mflopeza,

I am in a similar dilemma and will be applying to schools that you have mentioned in your post. I hit a 326 in GRE (Q -168, V-158, AWA -3.0) and I am worried that my AWA score might hamper my chances at top schools.

Some background:
- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering (CGPA -9.0/10)
- Cleared CFA Level 1 (Currently CFA L2 candidate)
- Currently work as an analyst at a bulge bank (work in sell side and have total work experience of around 2.0 years. My work does not involve quantitative concepts, more of corporate finance topics)

It would be great if you could share your thoughts about my current predicament. I am extremely worried because I am running out of time and do not think I have sufficient time for a second GRE attempt.

Thanks in advance!
Given those scores, especially Q, I'd say you don't need to retake the GRE. Simply focus on writing a good personal essay to overcome any doubt about your AWA skills.

Back