Masters or Get a Random Finance Job?

I'm a recent graduate with a Bachelor's in Finance with some experience working in the brokerage industry. I currently do not have a job and am weighing the options of either completing the Masters or instead forgoing the Masters and getting a random finance job, whichever becomes available.

The Masters is the same as a MFE (studying outside the US) however I must complete a maths bridging course at the same university to gain entry. The maths course is only offered during the day-time and will take a year to complete. If I commence the maths course I will be unable to undertake full-time work. The Masters commences next year in August and is offered at night-time therefore allowing for full-time work.

I have been recently applying for Finance related positions simultaneously and am in the final stages for a few positions: broker role in equities, trainee trader role and another junior trader role.

What I am thinking is should I just take one of these positions if offered and forgo the Masters? (note that I must complete the maths course to be accepted into the Masters. If I take a full-time job I am unable to do the Masters.)

OR should I commence the maths bridging course and find a part-time job somewhere and then in August 2011 when the Masters commences, find a full-time job again?

The broker role is something I do not particularly want to do, the trader roles are at small firms and have a high performance failure risk, i.e. failing to meet performance targets then being retrenched and also non-transferable skills to future jobs. My undergrad marks are not very high therefore any formal graduate programs are out of the question.

The Masters requires me to grunt a year for the day-time maths bridging course, having to do part-time work. Also has the risk of not being able to find a job later due to no direct Finance experience.

Back
Top Bottom