• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Math Classes after Graduation

I had already taken Multivariable calc, Lin Alg & Dif Eq in high school, so my formal math background at college is limited even though I did a quantitative degree. So I wanted to take these at a local college now to show I know the material (I would easily get A's)

I plan on doing all the Baruch Pre-MFE courses but also wanted to take Dif Eq and Statistics at a college for a letter grade.

Do MFE programs look down upon taking these at a community college as opposed to a good undergraduate institution? If so, where else can I take these courses for a grade?

qweretyq,

I am sorta in the same boat as you. I have taken math through calc 3 (multivariable) in college and graduated with a degree in finance.

My plan is to take more classes post-undergrad such as linear alg, diff eqs, probability theory, numerical methods, etc.
From my understanding, you wont find a majority of these upper level classes at a community college, and if you do they may be dummied down alittle bit for freshman sophomore undergrads.

I would recommend to try to find this classes at an actual university and apply as a nondegree seeking student to take these classes. I am fortunate enough to be able to live in Chicago, so getting to a college such as UIC to take these classes is no problem. But, yes they will cost about 1k more for each class.

Hey,

Do you work FT right now? A lot of these classes at places like UIC or Depaul are only offered during the day. I was thinking of quitting my job soon to focus on taking these classes FT like you said as a non degree student.

Back