• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

math courses to take around the nyc area

Hi Everyone - I am brand new to this forum and so far I have found a lot of useful and interesting information about pursuing a path to becoming a quant.
Currently, I don't have what it takes (GPA, math experience from college) to get into an MS program in quantitative finance, but I do have a passion for the field of finance and I am very confident that I would enjoy the work. I work as a trading assistant for an exotic derivatives desk and would like to obtain an analytical job versus my current job which is operational.
I would be greatful if anyone could let me know which school in the nyc area offers preparational math courses (calc1,2,3; linear algebra, probability) so that I can see if I am cut out for this field. I am much more mature than I was in college and resolved to giving it my all.

Thanks all, and have a nice memorial day weekend.
Mike

Caculus based probability courses in New York

Hello Folks,
I am looking forward to apply in Masters in Mathematical Finance programs. I am from an engineering background with four years of Java programming experience. I have done Calculus and partial differential equation courses in under graduation.

Most of these programs also require Calculus based probability courses. Can anyone please enlighten me with any such courses that are offered by universities in New York city or in New Jersey. I am looking forward to do these courses before I apply.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

The answer is a post above yours. CUNY has plenty of senior colleges you can take courses from. Check out the various math dept website and the course listing. It's one of the most economical way to get the math required for the FE program. Some of the undergrad math courses at Baruch are taught by the professors who teach in the MFE program there.

How is the admission to Baruch undergrad? Is it a rolling admission or competitive?

Mike,
Any college/community college will have those classes.
Baruch, Hunter have them for sure.

Afilin,
Baruch has probability based calculus, pls double check but if memeory serves me, the class is called MTH 9831.

Francis,
Undergrad admission as a non-degree student is pretty straightforward.
You would just need is to fill out their non-degree student form, provide a proof of graduation and immunization record along with $60. Once you are admitted, you can enroll for classes.

Unsure of the criteria for admission as a degree student.

Cheers,
Vic

wow thanks for all the responses. i checked out baruch and cuny both offer a great variety. my question is: would anyone know of math courses that do not extend beyond two months? once in baruch and hunter look like they run a solid 4 months which is nice. I did take calculus one and two in college but I think i need to take them again in addition to probability and linear algebra. So time is of the essence for me. Currently enrolled in a NYU C++ certificate.

Can anyone recommend online versions perhaps? Ones that I can do at my own pace? Maybe a Calc 1 course that I can knock out in a month? That would also be admissible by MFE programs?

Thanks in advance guys. I really appreciate it! :)

Back